Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Left handed???

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Left handed???

Postby Tom Grates » 11 25, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Looking to buy my son a mountain rifle. Don't want to go crazy, was going to go Browning Hell's Canyon Speed, but they don't make it lefty. Now thinking of getting him a Tika 3 lite, anyone that is lefty got a better idea?
PS, don't tell Joe, I don't want to ruin his surprise!
Tom Grates

Re: Left handed???

Postby wawhitey » 11 25, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Not super lightweight but not a brick either, and theyre damn good shooting guns. https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=fi ... ry&s=57085
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 11 25, 2020 •  [Post 3]

II shoot an A-bolt lefty
I would be more concerned about fit than brand, Ive had Savage, Remington, and Browning in bolt action all were good shooters
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 11 25, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Another option would be a lever action or pump action rifle. I do not know what your son will be hunting or where. Personally I like the looks of the rifle Whitey suggested.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby MTLongdraw » 11 25, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I’m lefty and the Tikka is exactly what I’m going with. You really can’t go wrong with them. In that price range they rate very high and many of the competitors don’t come in southpaw editions.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby 7mmfan » 11 25, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Another option would be a lever action or pump action rifle. I do not know what your son will be hunting or where. Personally I like the looks of the rifle Whitey suggested.

Swede, they don't make pump rifles anymore.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 11 26, 2020 •  [Post 7]

7mmfan wrote:
Swede wrote:Another option would be a lever action or pump action rifle. I do not know what your son will be hunting or where. Personally I like the looks of the rifle Whitey suggested.

Swede, they don't make pump rifles anymore.

I know they existed, in the way i know black and white tvs existed, but ive never actually seen one.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 26, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Apparently you jerks are right. I looked and found very few used ones for sale and they are expensive. Thanks and have a happy Thanksgiving.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 11 26, 2020 •  [Post 9]

I dont like the Tikka for a kid as they do not have a bolt release lever or a 3 position safety. You have to take it off safety in order to unload it. Just personal preference. I love Browning X-Bolts. Mine are all shooters. No clue if they make a lefty version.
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 01, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I'm a lefty and I shoot a right handed rifle with no problem at all. You might want to consider the resale value if you ever try to get rid of a lefty. The biggest majority of left handed shooters I know of use right handed rifles.

Besides, (back in the olden days) when Swede was growing up, they hadn't invented left handed rifles!!!!! :lol:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 12 01, 2020 •  [Post 11]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Besides, (back in the olden days) when Swede was growing up, they hadn't invented left handed rifles!!!!!

Sure we did. We called them lever actions. The the model 95 Win. was made in 30-06 and plenty for anything I ever hunted, but they were all used guns. WW would have referred to his childhood days, but back then the guns were referred to as blunderbusses. But they were all both left and right handed. :D
Swede