Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips
 

Hunting pants for men?

Moderators: Lefty, Swede, Tigger, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting pants for men?

Postby Ubrerer » 09 16, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Hello, can you help me? I'm looking for a quality pair of pants for camping/hiking/backpacking. Some specs I'd like to find are:

-Water-Resistant
-Flexible
-Scratch/Tear-Resistant
-Reinforced Knees

Any suggestions? I'm willing to spend between$50 & $100 for a really nice pair. Thanks.

PS.. I'm tall and skinny and hard to find good pants, what do you say about jeans like here on the stylejeanswear.com I like jeans but have anybody experience in hiking and backpacking in jeans?
Ubrerer
Rank: New User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 10 16, 2019
Location: Boston

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Lefty » 09 16, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I bought some Rustic ridge. Zip off lowers,
Worn then in the woods once very pleased
Sportsman’s warehouse $34
User avatar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 5502
Joined: 06 25, 2012
Location: Pocatello Idaho
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby 7mmfan » 09 17, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Don't know about reinforced knees, but the Parana Zion Stretch pants have a good following. You can get them on backcountry.com for about $60 I think. I have a hodgepodge of different Patagonia, Firstlite, and North Face pants. I really am a fan of the zip off legs for early season and summer hiking. Take a look at Sierratradingpost.com and Backcountry.com for deals.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 796
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby RichM » 10 25, 2020 •  [Post 4]

RichM
Rank: Spike
 
Posts: 109
Joined: 06 08, 2013
Location: New Mexico
First Name: Rich
Last Name: M

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Swede » 10 26, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Ubrerer wrote: I like jeans but have anybody experience in hiking and backpacking in jeans?


I have a lot of experience in hiking and backpacking in jeans. I have no experience in $50-$100 hiking pants. I was raised next to the forests of western Oregon. I have hiked and hunted all of my life. I spent some time logging. I made a 35 year career in the Forest Service that included walking all day, fighting fires and a myriad of other things. I have never needed or bought anything special for hunting, back packing or hiking.
I am sure they are nice, but if funding is tight; don't worry about it. I have some Gore-Tex cover pants that keep my jeans dry when it is wet out. I have thermal underwear for warmth when it is cold. I have had some miserable days out, but I don't remember my jeans being the problem.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics
 
Posts: 8770
Joined: 06 16, 2012

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Swede » 10 26, 2020 •  [Post 6]

"Absolutely! My first hunting mentor was my father in law. He killed more animals in jeans and flannel than I will in my fancy hunting clothes. Great guy and a ton of fun. Cancer got him a couple years ago. Those memories beat any monster bull I’ll ever find."

I was on another hunting forum, reading a thread about the good old days when I read this statement posted by Aaron Coleman. It speaks to your question.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics
 
Posts: 8770
Joined: 06 16, 2012

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Tigger » 10 26, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Check out Sierra.com and Camofire.com see if you can find a pair of Sitka on clearance. Pay no mind to our lovable curmudgeon, there are better options than jeans. And I love jeans.

True story. I was hunting in my Sitka pants and reached back to scratch my behind. They are so comfy, that for an instant, I thought I was scratching directly on my underbritches and i had a big hole in my pants. There was no hole.
User avatar
Tigger
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: 01 12, 2015
Location: Minnesota

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby 7mmfan » 10 26, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Can you hike/hunt in jeans? Yes. Have millions upon millions of game animals been killed by people wearing denim of some form? Yes. But there are FAR more comfortable options out there. Most of them have been lined out here. My Dad was a diehard denim pant guy. Has been as long as I've hunted with him, so for nearly 30 years now. Last year I bought him a pair of $120 Kuiu Attack pants. He about blew a gasket that I'd spend that kind of money on pants. Then he wore them, and he has worn them every day in the woods since that first time. He admitted this year in Idaho that they are the most comfortable pants he's ever worn. Also keep an eye out for Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pants, they are frequently on sale somewhere, and have a good following.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 796
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Swede » 10 26, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Just think about how your jeans feel when you wear then all day at home or work. They don't change to be any different when you are out hunting. I have no basis to argue one way or the other about how good $120 pant feel. I don't have any. What I will say is that having expensive trousers should not keep you from hunting, and will have no effect on your success.
If that cull 7MM was a real gentleman, he would send me a pair of those Kuiu Attack pants for Christmas. Size 32 waist please.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics
 
Posts: 8770
Joined: 06 16, 2012

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby 7mmfan » 10 26, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Where jeans change is when you're about 500' into a 2000' climb and you're beginning to really sweat. Good lightweight breathable pants will dissipate that moisture quickly and be dry again in to no time, allowing you to hunt in dry comfort. Every time I've ever had to hike in jeans, once they were wet, they were wet the rest of the day. If you got all hot and sweaty on your approach, and then had to sit in them for hours, boy would I get cold, even with long underwear on. Since I've switched to lightweight synthetic pants and layer with good merino wool long undies, I'm comfortable, dry, warm, and I stay out all day. I do think that it's had a direct impact on my ability to stay focused on the hunt instead of drowning in self pity about how cold and uncomfortable I am, and in turn, I think I kill more animals because of it. I'll admit, I'm not very tough, so being cozy comfy and dry is important to me. Definitely not as tough as old Swede over there. He's like nails. Bent up crochety old nails.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 796
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Tigger » 10 26, 2020 •  [Post 11]

7mmfan and I are on the same page here. One of my hunting buddies coined the phrase, "it is like hunting in your pajamas". I wear jeans every day. I love jeans. But they dont compare to good hunting pants. Not even close.
User avatar
Tigger
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: 01 12, 2015
Location: Minnesota

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Swede » 10 26, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Tigger wrote: "it is like hunting in your pajamas".


Let me remind you that this thread is about hunting pants for men. I have spent countless days in the forest logging, Forest Service hiking, wood cutting, scouting, hunting, etc. I have never seen anyone out in anything like their PJs. And if you have uncontrolled sweat; take a break before you have a heart attack. :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics
 
Posts: 8770
Joined: 06 16, 2012

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby 7mmfan » 10 26, 2020 •  [Post 13]

I'm 36, hopefully I have a few years to go until I have to worry about the heart attack.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 796
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Swede » 10 26, 2020 •  [Post 14]

7mmfan wrote: Since I've switched to lightweight synthetic pants and layer with good merino wool long undies, I'm comfortable, dry, warm, and I stay out all day.


I meant no offence by suggesting that you don't overdo it to where you are sweating so profusely that your pants are wet and you get cold on a hot day when you take a break. Jeans never were a big problem when I started to sweat. I had layers, so as soon as I started to get too warm, it was time to take off some layers. When you sit down and start to cool, put some back on.
The part of your post quoted above reminds me of some advise I got when I was a 21 year old logger. An older gent said to me one day, "I don't care how wet and cold you get, when you are wearing black wool underwear, you are always warm and dry." I got a couple of pairs of the old style union suit black wool underwear with the button up rear. I tried, but they itched me so bad, I went back to what I had. I still precisely remember the advise though.
I personally don't need the expensive pants, and never have. My real point to anyone new to hunting out west is; they may be nice, but you don't need $100 pants to be comfortable, or to kill elk. If you are on a budget, there may be a lot of higher priorities.
Cotton does hold water, but a pair of Gore-Tex outer pants are fairly cheap and will keep you dry unless your pants go too low and act as a wick. Pant legs acting as a wick haven't drawn water up past my knees.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics
 
Posts: 8770
Joined: 06 16, 2012

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby 7mmfan » 10 27, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Swede wrote:
7mmfan wrote: Since I've switched to lightweight synthetic pants and layer with good merino wool long undies, I'm comfortable, dry, warm, and I stay out all day.


I meant no offence by suggesting that you don't overdo it to where you are sweating so profusely that your pants are wet and you get cold on a hot day when you take a break. Jeans never were a big problem when I started to sweat. I had layers, so as soon as I started to get too warm, it was time to take off some layers. When you sit down and start to cool, put some back on.
The part of your post quoted above reminds me of some advise I got when I was a 21 year old logger. An older gent said to me one day, "I don't care how wet and cold you get, when you are wearing black wool underwear, you are always warm and dry." I got a couple of pairs of the old style union suit black wool underwear with the button up rear. I tried, but they itched me so bad, I went back to what I had. I still precisely remember the advise though.
I personally don't need the expensive pants, and never have. My real point to anyone new to hunting out west is; they may be nice, but you don't need $100 pants to be comfortable, or to kill elk. If you are on a budget, there may be a lot of higher priorities.
Cotton does hold water, but a pair of Gore-Tex outer pants are fairly cheap and will keep you dry unless your pants go too low and act as a wick. Pant legs acting as a wick haven't drawn water up past my knees.


No offense taken Swede, never any offense taken.

I'll add that if I'm laboring in the woods, i.e. cutting firewood, making/clearing trails, etc... in also wear Jean's. They offer a level of durability and protection I can't get from my lightweight synthetic gear. They have distinctly different purposes in my mind.

Proper layering regardless of what you are wearing will result in more comfort. My smartwool long underwear is irreplaceable in my opinion. Its expensive but i cannot stress enough the level of comfort it brings on uncomfortable days, and would even reach as far as saying they offer a level of safety on the really bad days.

You are also right that you don't need $100 pants to go hunting, but I think a guy can find a pair of good lightweight stuff for 25-50 if he shops them. As is always the case, to each his own. I will never wear Jean's on a hunt again in my lifetime most likely, but I certainly won't frown at those that do.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 796
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Tigger » 10 27, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Swede, did you read the title of this thread? Hunting pants for MEN. Best you leave the discussion to us and just try and learn! :o

Oh my, that was a zinger. I am gonna duck now..... :shock: :lol: Sorry Swede, I couldn't help it!
User avatar
Tigger
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: 01 12, 2015
Location: Minnesota

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Swede » 10 27, 2020 •  [Post 17]

7mm, I have no disagreement with your posts. I believe you add an important perspective to the discussion. That is a lot more than I can say for the knucklehead that posted right after you.
If I could get something like the Kuiu Attack pants for $25 or even $30 I would go for it, but they want $139 ea. gag!
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics
 
Posts: 8770
Joined: 06 16, 2012

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby 7mmfan » 10 27, 2020 •  [Post 18]

Prana Stretch Zion pants are really close, they retail for about $85. You can usually find them on Backcountry.com or Sierratradingpost.com for $50. Sometimes less.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 796
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Lefty » 11 02, 2020 •  [Post 19]

Swede wrote: have a lot of experience in hiking and backpacking in jeans..

Swede I was cheap, too cheap, still sort of am on many things But I also want value
Drive a 12 year old pickup, Havent bought a new gun since I was 16, 17 bought a few 10/22 for gifts at $39.00 .
Costco has some cheap clothes including jeans. But Im telling you there is a huge difference in many of those more expensive type clothing.
But then again Ive bought some real clearance bargains at Cabelas and at the International Sporstmans expo.
Super lightweight desert nylon pants, $5.00 May 200 hunts
Lots of Spring bargains from Kings Camo
I still cant wear out my Cabelas on sale Fleece hoodies one bought in 93 the other in 97. But wore out 3-4 pair of Carhart bibs

Cotton and cotton blends just don't cut it anymore for underwear, pant long johns or socks My wife said I can buy what I want,,.. as soon as I wear ourt the 5 camo pair I own,.,..
User avatar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 5502
Joined: 06 25, 2012
Location: Pocatello Idaho
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby wawhitey » 11 02, 2020 •  [Post 20]

Lefty wrote:
Swede wrote: have a lot of experience in hiking and backpacking in jeans..

Havent bought a new gun since I was 16, 17 .,..


Oh good god, somebody pass the hat! Thats just not right. You only live once lefty. Wheres that obese crying blonde woman from the commercials? For only a dollar a day we can get this starving child a new gun!
Real eyes realize real lies
User avatar
wawhitey
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 2829
Joined: 02 21, 2013
Location: Stevens co, WA

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Lefty » 11 03, 2020 •  [Post 21]

wawhitey wrote:
Lefty wrote:
Swede wrote: have a lot of experience in hiking and backpacking in jeans..

Havent bought a new gun since I was 16, 17 .,..


Oh good god, somebody pass the hat! Thats just not right. You only live once lefty. Wheres that obese crying blonde woman from the commercials? For only a dollar a day we can get this starving child a new gun!



Ooops need to restate: Ive havent bought new in the box, new gun.
All have been used with only a few boxes of shells through them in the box
All my glass has been brand new, from the shop, to me
User avatar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 5502
Joined: 06 25, 2012
Location: Pocatello Idaho
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 11, 2020 •  [Post 22]

For you guys that sweat your you know what off, there is a great product that will save you the $120 bucks you spent on those fancy Dan hunting pants. Depends wicks away moisture for a lot less than $120 :o :shock: :D
User avatar
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 2138
Joined: 05 27, 2012

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby 7mmfan » 12 11, 2020 •  [Post 23]

So that's how Swede stays in his tree stand all day.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 796
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Swede » 12 11, 2020 •  [Post 24]

Don't be discouraging these malcontents now WW. They get more ridiculous in their claims all the time. :P I have been waiting for those $120 pants to go on sale for $5. In the meantime I am waiting in my tree stand with what I now own. I have more than enough good hunting pants for a lifetime. I find I prefer denim to some of the Cabelas hunting pants that pick up burs as I walk through the grass.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics
 
Posts: 8770
Joined: 06 16, 2012

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby 7mmfan » 12 11, 2020 •  [Post 25]

Swede wrote:Don't be discouraging these malcontents now WW. They get more ridiculous in their claims all the time. :P I have been waiting for those $120 pants to go on sale for $5. In the meantime I am waiting in my tree stand with what I now own. I have more than enough good hunting pants for a lifetime. I find I prefer denim to some of the Cabelas hunting pants that pick up burs as I walk through the grass.


Burrs are a real problem, I'll give you that. That's why I stopped wearing the flocked pants. Anything with a fleece or suede type coating on the outside are trouble.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 796
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: Hunting pants for men?

Postby Tigger » 12 11, 2020 •  [Post 26]

Kinda surprises me that Swede even wears pants. I thought maybe a kilt. Or dress. :lol:
User avatar
Tigger
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: 01 12, 2015
Location: Minnesota