Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2 Headlamp Reviews!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2 Headlamp Reviews!

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Harmy & Slim9300 were kind enough to send me a headlamp of their choosing! My Son & I checked them both out, both are very sweet in their own rights! Harmy sent a Black Diamond Storm Model I believe? It has 4 triple A batteries that sit with the lamp up front, it's very lightweight & can be used under a ball cap or on top of a ball cap, that's important to me as I like having the option to wear it either way! It has several lighting functions from low to very high beamed, it appears to be very versatile & a very good unit, this one was my sons favorite between the two & he will try it out on our next hunts! This is a very light weight unit & you cannot tell you're even wearing it!

Slim9300 sent a Zebra head lamp, it runs on a single double A battery, it is very lightweight as well & the battery does sit up front behind lamp. The construction on this head lamp is 2nd to none, it's very well built & it will take some abuse as there is no plastic parts on this unit. The functions of possible lighting are in the 20's, personally I'm only interested in high, med, low during hunting situations like traveling in the dark early & late. This unit too can be worn under a ball cap or on the ball cap, no fluff on back of headband!

Both appear to be exactly what we were looking for! It appears that the Black Diamond will have no longevity light issues with 4 batteries. The Zebra with the one battery will limit it's life. We both carry extra batteries so it's not a big issue for us! I like the compactness of both & shy away from headlamps that have battery packs on rear of head band as they are bulky & tough to wear under or over a ball cap. Both of these HeadLamps are a thumbs off & are well built! If any are looking for a solid lightweight headlamp these 2 are definitely ones to consider!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: 2 Headlamp Reviews!

Postby dotman » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I have a Black Diamond Icon that uses 4 double A batteries, this light has many different settings from pretty much 0 lumen to 200 lumen. The light output is amazing and so far the brightest I have used. It has a switching function so you can turn on the red light without cycling thru the white light and vice versa. The strob is very bright. The battery housing is aluminum and very durable but also kind of bulky. It is a very comfortable headlamp to wear and combines many features all in one unit for around $89.

I have a Zebra on order and am pretty excited since it has a max output close to 700lumen :) and is very lightweight.
dotman

Postby Lefty » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I had a number of top end headlamps in the past and now buy the cheapos I just tossed out a Browning that I had for 10 years and a Penzel ( old school ) didnt last as long.

I bought the Costco 3 for $9.95 lamps for stocking stuffers
a 4 year old Cabelas $20.00 still going stong
I use my head lamps a lot,.. feeding horse, setting out goose decoys at camp,.. I generlly dont use a lamp to hunt/walk in. I dont need a headlamp as a big spot light I need to see what Im doing and where Im going.
In the past 3 years I find the cheapos to be a better buy overall. the technology has changed so much ; I dont see any reason to spend more on a head lamp

From another forum
http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=917206&highlight=headlamp
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby TheBuzz » 01 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I like my Petzl Tikka Plus....white and red LED, different intensity levels and tilt adjusting is a nice feature.... 3 x AAA batteries
TheBuzz

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Hovorka