Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gear changes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gear changes

Postby Lefty » 06 13, 2020 •  [Post 1]

What gear will you be getting rid of or adding this year?

I decided I’ll likely keep my bow as long as I archery hunt.
Last year my big change went from a tent and back of the trucks to a camper
So all sorts of back at camp changes
I spent a day and 1/2 in the camper during the one rain and snow storms another wet day a wonderful and need nap at camp

Some how my nano light disappeared. So a headlamp will be added and some other little emergency light

I’ve used thin painters plastic for meat and emergency rain gear
This year I’ll take a couple pieces that are bigger

I would like to find a super lightweight disposable poncho I had a bunch but have used them up over the years
And I’m going back to a real digital camera instead of my phone

I’ve carried bear spray we hunt in grizzly country
My daughter carries a pistol and spray Andrew carries spray and two pistols
Yesterday I came across a fresh huge pile of Pooh . I felt a bit naked without a gun
So maybe a pistol

So what are you adding or changing
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Gear changes

Postby Swede » 06 13, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I don't know what to get rid of, but my wife says it is time to do some clean out of my hunting room. I was going to sell a pile of tree stands, but the cost of shipping was more than what I was asking for the stands, so that did not work. I guess I could ask more for the stands. I doubt the shippers will lower their price.
It is lunch time now. I think after I finish lunch I will head to my room and start looking. I will not ask Willie to help as she is just too eager.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 13, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Have a new tree stand coming in on Monday (yes, the model is Swede approved ;) ...). It appears that my buddy Joe and I will finally mix a bit of "Tree Stand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk" (shameless plug for the definitive book for TS hunting elk; see banner and link above) into our hunts this year. I guess not really any substantial gear "changes" for me this year, just re-stocking of the usual items.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 06 13, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I went to the man cave and worked an hour putting things away. Willie said I made zero progress as things just went from one box to another, but I did throw out an old computer. I guess I will need to make another trek to the cave soon. It is hard to throw out good stuff even if I know it will never be used again.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 06 13, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I'll make the trek down to help clean that thing out Swede. Only payment I require is whatever I can haul away in my truck. :lol:
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 13, 2020 •  [Post 6]

New pack for me. Getting it from my boss. I got a few things to help with the ground blinds we are going to set up. That’s about it.

RJ- in the last area I hunted we would bugle and call in the morning and then in the afternoons and evenings we sat water wholes. it worked really good in that area. Tree stands might not be the “popular” vote among archery elk hunters but the success rates for those that do it right are hard to argue with
Elkhunttoo

Postby GoGriz1234 » 06 17, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I think after reading this site for years and chasing elk with a rifle I am going to go see about a bow. The family and I have been hiding out in SW Montana for a month now and the archery shop is so close, I think I need to pay them a visit. I also need to upgrade my pack, so hopefully there is a Fourth of July sale I can get in on.

Starting to get excited for the 2020 season, in whatever form it takes for me!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall