Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Caliper vs Hook release

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Caliper vs Hook release

Postby Rangerz » 04 02, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Currently using a Trufire Edge Caliper release.

Was thinking of trying a hook style wrist strap release and was curious if anyone has tried both and what their experiences were.

Thanks, Chris
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Re: Caliper vs Hook release

Postby Swede » 04 02, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I have owned and used several type releases over the years. I prefer the Scott Shark duel caliper release with the belt and hole wrist band.

The single jaw release and the hook are harder to get my bow tuned for. Both slightly kick the string off to the side when I release. With the duel jaw release the string comes out perfectly straight inline with its travel path. When I set my rest up for a duel caliper release it never needs adjustment.
The hook requires more pull to release, and I do not know how a person can adjust to that. It may be the release I had. I gave it away.
I like the more rigid connection of the Scott release to the wrist band too as it does not flop around as much as the ones on a swivel or little belt. It seemed to me the looser connected releases were always hitting on something metal when I wanted to be most quiet.
I suppose they makes a variety of releases because everyone has their preference, but that is where I have ended up.

P.s. I do not care for a back tension release for hunting. I have too many misfires. I suppose I could learn to shoot one better, but why since the duel caliper release works perfectly fine?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 02, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Swede gave some good examples

My first release was single caliper release. I used a duel caliper once,.. and purchased it immediately .
Ive tried a hook release, and thats what my daughter uses.

No real reason to change until I loose or wear out my duel caliper.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhntr08 » 04 03, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I bought my first Scott release from Bill at a IBO shoot in Bedford Indiana. He had just started and was selling out of the back of his van. Loved that dual jaw release. Ran into him again a few years later in Pennsylvania and he had just come out with the single jaw Mongoose. He assured me it was a much smoother, more consistent release. Handed me one and say to shoot it for the weekend. Took it back on Sunday and told him I thought he had a winner. Asked how much and he told me it was a “used” release now, keep it. Still have that release and another for backup.
I don’t know it it’s that much better than a dual jaw, but for me it is. Bill explained why he did it and it made sense. I can tell you, it was easier on serving and now my D loop.
Looked at going to a hook type from time to time, but never pulled that trigger. Closest I ever got was a Cascade Model 8, until my daughter feel in love with it.
After this Social Distancing is over, go to a shop and shoot several different kinds. Find what feels best to you.
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 04 03, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Elkhntr08 wrote:I don’t know it it’s that much better than a dual jaw, but for me it is. Bill explained why he did it and it made sense. I can tell you, it was easier on serving and now my D loop.

One thing that Elkhuntr08 brings out I should have mentioned, but did not think about until I read his post. Not all double jaw releases are the same. I have had a couple from Scott and a couple from Cobra. Cobra stands behind their releases perfectly and I like the company, but their double jaw releases are hard on strings and D loops. When you compare them to a Scott, you can see why. The Cobra has a fairly sharp edge. The Scott is a lot more rounded and I have never worn out a serving or D loop with them.

Here is my admission. I have not tried most of the releases that are out there. What I wrote about is simply based on my limited experiences.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Rangerz » 04 16, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Thanks!
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole