Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Anyone still shoot fingers with their wheel bow?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Anyone still shoot fingers with their wheel bow?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 08, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Just curious. Does anyone still shoot fingers with their compound bows? I made the switch, after many years of finger shooting wheel bows, to a release two years ago. I really liked the simplicity of a shooting glove (one less mechanical thing to worry about in the woods) but am seemingly more accurate with a release.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Anyone still shoot fingers with their wheel bow?

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Rory, I used to shoot that way for years & did fairly well in my younger days! But after picking up a release, wow! What a difference with accuracy! I then went to a longbow for 4 years & of course shot with fingers. (glove) So a bit of both off & on, I still play with the longbow too!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby buglmin » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Yessir, shot fingers for years, shot 3D tournies for Oregon Bow Company and the High Country Archery. But my first love is my recurves, and even though Im still a staff shooter for a compound company, I still hunt with my recurves...
Remember the bows in the 80's? The beautiful Golden Eagles, the foam limbed Billy Cruise Oregon Bows, the Hoyt Spectras...44" long or longer, lil wheels, 35% letoff...recurve limbs...yessir, I think the prettiest bows were built in the 80's
I hunt with a guy thats a pro shooter for Mathews that shoots fingers, and man can that guy shoot. And what about Tim Wells? He shoots a short ata Mathews, baqrebow, with fingers, and is truly an amazing shot...
buglmin

Postby dotman » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Fingers are for old guys :) hahahaha
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 5]

dotman wrote:Fingers are for old guys :) hahahaha

Huh? What? Dang nabbit, frikkety, diggety hearing aids... We'll see how the old guy does on the Idaho slopes next September :).. I "may" be able to keep up you young whipper snappers... :lol:
WapitiTalk1

Postby dotman » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I have a feeling I might be the one tryin to keep up :)
dotman

Postby pointysticks » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 7]

fingers..also means..no bowsight?

that guy on relentless pursuit shoots this way. crazy and amazing. doesnt the string want to remove your fingerprints?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 8]

pointysticks wrote:fingers..also means..no bowsight?

that guy on relentless pursuit shoots this way. crazy and amazing. doesnt the string want to remove your fingerprints?

LOL, I've never used just bare fingers and always had sights on my compounds. I used an old steel cobra slot II for many, many years on my Dartons while shooting with a glove. I used to know some folks that shot their wheel bows with fingers (glove) and no sights but not me. The only time I shot anything with a compound "instinctively" was a spike elk right as dark was settling in. Couldn't see my pin so I figured, "I've got this" at about 15 yards. Well, a paunch shot later, I will never do that again.. I recovered the little spike but definitely not a fun time for he or I.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I gave up on fingers when I switched to a compound. I did not think they still made them. They must stock them for the old guys.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Heartwood » 12 14, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Switched to mechanical 7 years ago. Shot many wheel bows w/ fingers before that and did have a hard time switching. Accuracy defiantly improved w/ release. These shorter bows are harder for me to shoot with fingers but could still do it for closer shots.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby FemoralArchery » 12 14, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I have a lot of respect for you guys that can shoot fingers with a compound. I can't do it, I try every so often, even using finger tabs, and I don't know if I could hit an elk at 20 yards.

In our elk camp, we often play pig with our bows during the midday lull. This leads to some stupid shots, like shooting through the crotch of a tree, shooting through the rails of the fence, shooting while sitting, shooting from a lawn chair. Usually at 60 yards or more. This year I took a personal vow that I was going to win the daily pig game. I wanted to practice 3 shots that I knew noone else could make. The first two were easy with a little practice; shooting my right handed bow left handed and shooting while laying on my back. The third, shooting with fingers, never did work out. I tried a few different times and was very inconsistent and after I lost a couple of arrows, I gave up on that idea.

The guy from Relentless Pursuit, Tim Wells, is pretty amazing. He has taken some pretty incredible shots throughout the course of his show. I watched the episode where he shot the muley buck in Canada again the other day, that shot still boggles my mind. He said it was somewhere between 100 and 110 yards if I remember right. I practice shots like that, but I use a sight, release and drop away rest. He uses a flipper rest and his fingers. Although some of his shots are questionable, I definitely respect his ability.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby wideangle » 12 27, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I have a PSE XLR-900 which was initially designed to shoot fingers due to its longer wheel to wheel length.
I shoot longbows with a glove but shoot the PSE better with a tab.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby Z Barebow » 01 02, 2013 •  [Post 13]

RE: Old. Tell me something I don't know!

I shoot fingers, compound BB and always have. (30+ years). I am currently shooting a Hoyt Aspen but looking at a "new" bow. (At least it would be new to me).

Shot 30+ deer and a couple of elk this way. I don't think the critters cared how I shot them. I limit my distances. Last 10 WT's I have shot have been on a city urban deer hunt, which I need to pass a profiency every year.

I can't shoot a quarter 5 times @ 25 yards. But I can get close enough to make sure George loses some hair.

Hunt with your fingers,,,,,,, and you'll never hunt for your fingers!
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil