Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What power scope do you prefer and why

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What power scope do you prefer and why

Postby robloft » 02 11, 2020 •  [Post 1]

What power scope do you prefer and why? What objective lens size do you prefer? I currently have a 3-15x44 and it’s the nicest scope I’ve ever had and the lowlight performance is much better than the cheap scopes I grew up using but I noticed the past few times I was deer hunting that the lowlight performance isn’t what I would have liked so I may be in the market for another scope this year and would appreciate input from other hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Re: What power scope do you prefer and why

Postby wawhitey » 02 11, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Ive had a variety. Fixed 6x, 5.5-22×50 nxs, everything in between. Currently have a viper 4-16×44 sitting in my closet. All of my scoped rifles now are sporting lightweight 2-7×33 or 3-9×33. I dont shoot far anyway, no need for high magnification or dialing turrets for a shot. I prefer lightweight and simplicity for the ranges i shoot at. And i like being able to be way down to 2x for hunting in the timber and brush.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 02 11, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I have straight 6x Leupold on my 6.5 Swede rifle and never wanted for more. My favorite scope was always one of the old Weaver V-7's. Now I have Leupold 2.5 - 8x with a std objective lens.I hate the big bells. Too hard to fit in a scabbard.Except at the range, I don' t think I have ever had it set above 4X when hunting.

I always figured if you need a larger magnification for a long distance shot,there would be plenty of time to change, but there sure isn't when you are closer in and things need to get done fast
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 02 11, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I have a variable scope, but use it at 4X only if I ever go hunting with a rifle.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 11, 2020 •  [Post 5]

That's sort of a hard question to answer for you without knowing what you intend to use it for.

Personally, I have a 2-7 power on my big game rifle. It is plenty good for deer and elk size game at most reasonable yardages.

I have a 4-12 on my 220 Swift for prairiedogs and a 3-9 on my 17HMR for ground squirrels. Those little buggers are so tiny that I find the larger powers work best on them.
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 11, 2020 •  [Post 6]

On the handful of boom-sticks I have, 3-9 for big game and 4-12 for smaller critters.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 7mmfan » 02 12, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I've used several different scopes in 25 years of hunting. I started with a fixed 7 power that was my Dad's. That was a beautiful scope. I spent the most time using a 3-9 variable followed by a 2-7 variable. I liked the being able to keep my scope on low power, but have the upper end if needed. I recently put a 4.5-14 power scope on my rifle and honestly, it's the best decision I ever made. At 4.5, it's plenty low enough for almost any close encounter I may have, and I hunt with it on this power for that reason. However, I found myself looking at an elk this year at 360 yards and when I dialed it to 14 and settled in, I could literally pick the hair I was aiming at. It helped my confidence in the shot immensely. I could have the shot with any of the other scope I'd had with lower magnification, but I'll never go back to a scope that limits my upper end as long as the lower end is reasonable.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 02 12, 2020 •  [Post 8]

As a kid : 1970 I had my .22 tapped for a real scope
Ended up with 2-7 red fields then a 3-9
Used those scopes on my .222 and .308

I started using scopes because of the glasses I was wearing made using open sights tough

My daughter put a. 4-16 on her Christmas gun
maybe a bit much in the timber

I was taught “ aim small” so more power works for me but that had topped out at 16
If I was spending way beyond practicality, and shooting off of bags I would go higher mid 20 s for varmit’s but big game I want that lower end for close shooting If I had a dream scope for bigger game 1.5 -16

scope technology is incredible
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby robloft » 02 13, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Thanks for the replies. I figured what I had would be on the upper end of magnification that was used on a hunting rifle. I’ve had plenty of 3-9x40 scopes and I don’t think I’ll go back to less than a 3-12x42 on any future rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby Indian Summer » 02 14, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Tou can’t aim small if your crosshairs nearly cover your target. 22 power is nothing out west. I shoot targets from 100 yards at 20 power. That’s aiming at a small area. I’ve looked at bulls on 20 power and wished I could double that. If I was a timber sneaker it might be different.

I want to sell my Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 and buy the Mark 5 7-35 power. Interested?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 02 15, 2020 •  [Post 11]

I had lasix eye surgery changed my life
Joe brought up a real concern and maybe I’ll start a new thread

I have always had fine crosshairs so less if the target is covered
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 02 17, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Lefty wrote:I had lasix eye surgery changed my life
Joe brought up a real concern and maybe I’ll start a new thread

I have always had fine crosshairs so less if the target is covered

Leupold makes a heavy duplex with a thin crosshair in the center. Great for quick target acquisition without covering your point of aim. They also have one where there are no crosshairs right in the very middle where they would cross. Great for longer ranges or small bullseyes on the bench.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 18, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Indian Summer wrote:Tou can’t aim small if your crosshairs nearly cover your target. 22 power is nothing out west. I shoot targets from 100 yards at 20 power. That’s aiming at a small area. I’ve looked at bulls on 20 power and wished I could double that. If I was a timber sneaker it might be different.

I want to sell my Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 and buy the Mark 5 7-35 power. Interested?

I live out west and don't know of anyone who shoots 20x for anything other than bench shooting or prairie dogs. The heat waves distort the target on higher powered scopes and the field of view is very small.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 02 18, 2020 •  [Post 14]

I had a buck deer so close one time that all I could see in my scope, when I got my rifle to my shoulder, was hair. I had the scope set at too high of a power. My friend came back one day and said he had the same experience on an elk hunt. He had his scope set at 9 power.
If you are hunting in the timber or in areas of mixed openings and timber, I would recommend hunting with your scope set on a lower power. If you see a running animal at close range you likely won't have time to reset your scope for the lower power. If it is a long way away, you probably will. I think it is better to add to your magnification when higher power is desired. It is my observation that 2X-3X is best in dark timber, but 4X is ok. In those short range situations 6X is too much.
For quick shooting in low light especially in the timber, I prefer a dot reticle. I like a fairly large dot. I know where the center of the dot is and have no problem getting on target. With thin cross hairs it is sometimes difficult to find them especially in a hurry. I get at least 1/2 hour extra shooting light on cloudy days and in the timber by having a scope that is bright and has a large dot.
Swede

Postby Swede » 02 18, 2020 •  [Post 15]

If I ever get a 20X scope, I will show it to you. It will be on Craig's list.
Swede