Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Which Trekking Poles?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Which Trekking Poles?

Postby Indian Summer » 02 02, 2020 •  [Post 1]

And why? I’m researching poles and getting an education on different features. I’m leaning toward all metal lever locks. What are yinz guys using. (A little Pittsburgh dialect for you) :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Which Trekking Poles?

Postby wawhitey » 02 02, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Ive picked up a couple pairs from costco that are really lightweight and cheap and have worked well for me. I did find out however, that using them to try to bust a pine branch off a tree that was out of reach drooping over one of my cameras was a bad idea. Hence the purchase of the second set. Im the proud owner of 3 trekking poles. :D
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 02 02, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Costco poles here too

While I’ve used real nice Black Diamonds I’ll stay with the cheaper models
I believe it USA whole lot less painful when one breaks

I’ve had cows wreck one pair
Another broke between two rocks
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 02 02, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I think these are just a newer version of what I got. I wanted something lightweight and that collapsed small enough to actually store in my pack, not on my pack. I've had them 2 years and thoroughly abused them. No issues. Quite content with them. People say no to full carbon fiber because they can break, but I've had them in nasty nasty stuff with heavy loads where I put a lot of pressure on them. I'm sold.

The youtube guys all like Sissy Sticks.

https://www.rei.com/product/148197/leki-micro-var
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wl704 » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Cascade mtn design... Inexpensive, lightweight, collapsible, cork handle.
wl704

Postby Indian Summer » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Ok next question... thoughts on cork handles???
Indian Summer

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I bought a set on sale for $17 bucks at WalMart several years ago. They are still going strong. And have the lever type locks on them.

I know, I'm a tight wad. Just never have fell into the hype of hi-dollar hunting gear. But for $17 I figured I'd take a chance on them. So far I'm happy with them. If one ever does break, I'll just cut a stick if needed.
>>>---WW---->

Postby 7mmfan » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 8]

I'll also note that I started with the Cascade Design ones from Costco. I broke one on my 2nd trip out with them. Now, I was probably doing something with it that I wasn't supposed to be doing :roll: but I was surprised when it broke. They do seem to have a good following though, so maybe I was unlucky.

Cork handles. They feel good, and when you're hands are wet from sweat or rain, or whatever, you maintain your grip. Foam ones get slippery when wet and my guess is start to stink pretty fast.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:Ok next question... thoughts on cork handles???

Like 7MM mentioned, cork handles are less slippery than synthetic grips with sweaty hands, and, are normally lighter (lighter is good). They also conform to your hands the more you use them. Durability? Well, how are the cork handles doing on those old fishing poles in your shop? Betcha they’re still going strong.

Primary use of trekking poles for hunting (or backpacking) is to provide stability carrying a heavy pack. Using them gives you two additional points of contact with the ground that helps with balance, and, can also reduce the impact on the legs, knees, and ankles. I’ve heard it said by pro trekking pole folks that “a four legged dog seldom falls down”. I only started using trekking poles around 6-7? years ago. I do not use them all the time so weight (enter the lightweight carbon variety) is a huge factor to me. My poles ride in a side pocket of my Exo pack when hunting. They stay there until I’m actually on a clear trail or open terrain (not a lot of those where I hunt though). They are absolutely “great” for travel on a FS trail, or open terrain, either on a scout trip or packing in/out of a hunt with or w/o chunks of elk in the pack. I have a pair of the BD Alpine Cork trekking poles….. they are light (about a pound per pair), and strong (haven’t broke one yet and I have abused them).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 10]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:Ok next question... thoughts on cork handles???

Like 7MM mentioned, cork handles are less slippery than synthetic grips with sweaty hands, and, are normally lighter (lighter is good). They also conform to your hands the more you use them. Durability? Well, how are the cork handles doing on those old fishing poles in your shop? Betcha they’re still going strong.

Primary use of trekking poles for hunting (or backpacking) is to provide stability carrying a heavy pack. Using them gives you two additional points of contact with the ground that helps with balance, and, can also reduce the impact on the legs, knees, and ankles. I’ve heard it said by pro trekking pole folks that “a four legged dog seldom falls down”. I only started using trekking poles around 6-7? years ago. I do not use them all the time so weight (enter the lightweight carbon variety) is a huge factor to me. My poles ride in a side pocket of my Exo pack when hunting. They stay there until I’m actually on a clear trail or open terrain (not a lot of those where I hunt though). They are absolutely “great” for travel on a FS trail, or open terrain, either on a scout trip or packing in/out of a hunt with or w/o chunks of elk in the pack. I have a pair of the BD Alpine Cork trekking poles….. they are light (about a pound per pair), and strong (haven’t broke one yet and I have abused them).

You seem to be suggesting that they shine on fs roads, etc. For me, all due respect, i find the opposite. I dont find any benefit to trekking poles on nice easy smooth ground. I only feel they are advantageous in "off road" type hiking. Maybe im using them wrong, i dont know, but thats my experience. Only been using them a couple few years though. Im probably full of crap.
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 11]

I rarely use them on flat ground. They slow me down. I end up carrying them much of the time. Like wawhitey, its steep, uneven ground where having that 3rd and 4th point of contact makes all the difference. Steep descents with heavy loads are infinitely easier with poles.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Agree. Not much benefit to be had on level ground unless you just carry one to poke at grasshoppers for fun :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 13]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Agree. Not much benefit to be had on level ground unless you just carry one to poke at grasshoppers for fun :D

What did the grasshoppers ever do to you? Leavethem little buggers alone.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Man, a few years back i went to help a friend track a bull in a place id never been. Could ride quads in. It was crazy, driving through a big ffg ield, so many ghoppers flying away from the quad i didnt even realize what they were for a while. If you had a surf board you could have ridden the waves of grasshoppers km certsin. It was flat out weird.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 15]

I’ve heard they’re great protein in a pinch :|
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 02 03, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Id have to be starving. I used to breed several species of lizards as a kid. I fed them lots of hoppers and crickets. The chitin came out whole. You could see the wings in the turds. I dont want to see that come out of me.
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 02 04, 2020 •  [Post 17]

wawhitey wrote:Id have to be starving. I used to breed several species of lizards as a kid. I fed them lots of hoppers and crickets. The chitin came out whole. You could see the wings in the turds. I dont want to see that come out of me.

If that concerns you then you might want to steer clear of dehydrated meals brother.
Indian Summer

Postby 7mmfan » 02 04, 2020 •  [Post 18]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Agree. Not much benefit to be had on level ground unless you just carry one to poke at grasshoppers for fun :D

That's what I carry a 22 revolver for.
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 02 04, 2020 •  [Post 19]

Indian Summer wrote:
wawhitey wrote:Id have to be starving. I used to breed several species of lizards as a kid. I fed them lots of hoppers and crickets. The chitin came out whole. You could see the wings in the turds. I dont want to see that come out of me.

If that concerns you then you might want to steer clear of dehydrated meals brother.

And any organic farmers market produce. Can't tell you how many bugs I pull out of my fresh spring salad mix
7mmfan

Postby Rangerz » 02 04, 2020 •  [Post 20]

Best trekking poles I have found https://www.hikerhunger.com/products/10 ... king-poles Can sometimes find them on Amazon

Truth moment. How many of you have heard a grasshopper and thought it might be a rattler?
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 04, 2020 •  [Post 21]

Truth moment. How many of you have heard a grasshopper and thought it might be a rattler?

I sure have. At least, the do keep you on alert for buzz worms!
>>>---WW---->

Postby wawhitey » 02 04, 2020 •  [Post 22]

Rangerz wrote:Best trekking poles I have found https://www.hikerhunger.com/products/10 ... king-poles Can sometimes find them on Amazon

Last august after almost stepping on a pair of rattlers, and one buzzed at me, for a few days after that id about leap out of my boots every time i would brush some dried up arrowleaf or something with my pant leg and it slightly sounded like a rattler buzzing right at my feet. :lol:
Attachments
20190806_081713-800x600.jpg
20190806_081713-800x600.jpg (136.1 KiB) Viewed 9326 times
wawhitey

Postby robloft » 02 13, 2020 •  [Post 23]

I used some Walmart ones when I went to montana and they worked fine until one of the flat pieces in the end unscrewed and I lost it. Then that pole would stick just stick in the ground. Other than that they worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby Indian Summer » 02 22, 2020 •  [Post 24]

I settled on a pair of Black Diamond Alpine FLZ poles. Telescoping poles only slide down to 26 inches. At 16 these will fit in my pack better. They’re really light. Love the cork handles and the quick deploy slidelock and all metal flicklock adjusting system. I got a great price from the manufacturer too. I have to say that upon inspection when they arrived they were nice than I had imagined and definitely exceeded my expectations.
Attachments
76DE0484-152C-40BD-9B75-84BF639078DF.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 02 22, 2020 •  [Post 25]

Together with my Paria Outdoors Sanctuary (super light and VERY waterproof) tarp I’ll be able to glass without getting rained or snowed on. I really like the idea of having a portable shelter under 1 pound to be able to hide under in nasty weather. This setup will be priceless for moose hunting in Alaska too where all day rain and all day glassing is par for the course.
Attachments
0FDF8291-0B70-4D05-9779-3AC3378FF207.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 22, 2020 •  [Post 26]

That’s a dang nice setup mister. A GREAT weather/glassing setup; heck, you could sleep under that thing in a pinch.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 02 22, 2020 •  [Post 27]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:That’s a dang nice setup mister. A GREAT weather/glassing setup; heck, you could sleep under that thing in a pinch.

Yep. I always say I do something every single day to improve my elk hunting. Every day! The idea of a portable shelter where I’m utilizing gear that I’ll already be pack... my poles, really appealed to me. I don’t carry rain gear. And I have some killer spots to glass and shoot from. I’ve been looking into different ways to pitch the tarp. How about the lightweight reflective Dyneema guy lines. No tripping over those.
Indian Summer