Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How to break in new hunting boots

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How to break in new hunting boots

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 17, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I have my method....let’s hear yours. I’m not talking the low 1/4 calf height hiking boot “sneakers” ;) but real full leather, 9-11 inch boots. Perhaps we’ll help a few new hunters on their way.

09B8EF9F-F4C1-4939-AB35-A69E35FC5D09.jpeg
09B8EF9F-F4C1-4939-AB35-A69E35FC5D09.jpeg (73.92 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: How to break in new hunting boots

Postby wawhitey » 01 17, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Put a hundred miles on em, thatll break em in real well.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 01 17, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Not sure what type of lowas those are, but i struggled for years to find boots thst fit me well and didnt fall apart. Got some lowas and never looked back. Have 4 different kinds now. The only ones that needed a "breaking in" period to get comfortable were my tibet superwarms. Theyre great now, but it took some time. The rest were perfect right out of the box. My favorites are the rangers. If im hiking around, staying warm, and its not severe winter weather and snow, the rangers are where its at. Absolutely love em. This time of year i go tibet superwarm. In warm weather light scouting, hiking etc where i wont carry s heavy losd i like the renegades. Theyre basically hightop tennis shoes, but very comfortable for all day hiking without a heavy pack. I have another real lightweight, flexible stealthy pair, cant remember the model (just checked, uplander gtx) , that ill use for treestand hunting in early september. No good for packing heavy loads, but good for warm weather sneaky operations.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 17, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Dean, these are the Lowa Tibet GTX Hi’s.
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 01 17, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Unless we have drastically different feet, i bet youll love them. At first it was hsrd for me to spend 400 bucks on a pair of boots, but man theyre not only comfortable, but they hold up incredibly well. Way cheaper to spend 400 on a pair that will last years, than it is to spend 200 on a pair of garbage boots that start leaking and falling apart a year later. I would have saved a lot of money if id have just tried the lowas several years earlier.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 17, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Different boots are treated differently. Oil tan work boots with a false tongue over the tongue, I coat with Hubbard's boot oil and place a section of wool sock between the false tongue and the tongue before I lace them up.
For hot spots around the ankles or heel, I pound that place with a light hammer over a fender dolly. I also lubricate those boots with the recommended treatment. If the problem is acute, I take the boots into Danner and have them work on them.
Other than that I take two pair of boots with me and go back to my old ones before the new ones make my feet too sore. All boots should be fell broke in long before hunting season. If your new boots are too tough to break in, send them back for a refund.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 01 17, 2020 •  [Post 7]

The best way to break them in would be to head over here sunday / monday and let me try to call a lion in for you. Bring your gaiters and snowshoes!
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 17, 2020 •  [Post 8]

wawhitey wrote:The best way to break them in would be to head over here sunday / monday and let me try to call a lion in for you. Bring your gaiters and snowshoes!

Cripes! I will end up visiting your ranch one day; would be an honor.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 17, 2020 •  [Post 9]

I just read that you should not use any boot treatment product that contains animal fat, petroleum, or beeswax. It breaks down the leather and will actually void the warranty on some of the upper end boot. That’s a new one on me.
WapitiTalk1

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 18, 2020 •  [Post 10]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:To all...you should not use any boot treatment product that contains animal fat, petroleum, or beeswax. It breaks down the leather and will actually void the warranty on some of the upper end boots.

Wow! That pretty much eliminates just about any treatment I can think of. The two best I know of are Mink Oil and SnoSeal! :o
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 18, 2020 •  [Post 11]

>>>---WW----> wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:To all...you should not use any boot treatment product that contains animal fat, petroleum, or beeswax. It breaks down the leather and will actually void the warranty on some of the upper end boots.

Wow! That pretty much eliminates just about any treatment I can think of. The two best I know of are Mink Oil and SnoSeal! :o

Ya, agree. I corrected my post you quoted. I didn’t mean to say it was my experience like sounded, just something I recently read.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 01 18, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Haven't you characters noticed all of the older cows having patches on their hides because fat had broken down the leather?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 01 18, 2020 •  [Post 13]

wawhitey wrote: The only ones that needed a "breaking in" period to get comfortable were my tibet superwarms.

. The rest were perfect right out of the box.

My daughter had numerous "trainings" on foot wear.
Most synthetics dont need breaking in. And top end boots that do need breaking in will that instruction.

Some boots need oils, wax, silicone and some nothing

My dad use to render his own mink oil from our mink,.. then give is as thank you gifts to land owners ,
He got better mileage out of the boot oil than any other gift
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 01 19, 2020 •  [Post 14]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:I just read that you should not use any boot treatment product that contains animal fat, petroleum, or beeswax. It breaks down the leather and will actually void the warranty on some of the upper end boot. That’s a new one on me.

Yes! I quit using mink oil decades ago. Pine pitch is great. Montana Pitch Blend works well. I’ve been using Onenaufs for a long time now. Love it. My Kenetreks are old. Probably 12 years or so. The leather and stitching is still going strong. Very strong!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 15]

My boot break in strategy is to grease them up, throw on a weighted pack and start doing short hikes. I don't like my feet to hurt, so I try to stop before they get chewed up. Lots of shorter trips to start out. I like having some weight in the pack to put more pressure on the boots right from the get go.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Tigger » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 16]

12 seasons on my Schnees and I use Obenaufs and they are still going strong. They are my favorite footwear. My second pair of Schnees, (both Beartooths I might add), area only 4 years old and are awesome as well. Now that you got me thinking about it, I feel like putting them on to wear at my desk today. :shock:

My dad, who will be 72 this week, about choked on the price about 5-6 years ago and got some other brand. Then 2 years later, with tail between his legs, came asking about my boots again. He has 3-4 years on his Beartooths and wears them all the time. He raves about them.

I believe Lowa's and Kenetreks are similar to Schnees. Once you wear a pair of major league boots, you will find it hard to go back to minor league boots. Indian Summer and I have 12 seasons each on our boots and they are still in awesome shape. I think I can speak for Joe in that we both use the heck out of them too. I use mine for hard hunting, Joe uses his for going to have tea and scones at his elderly aunt's room at the nursing home. :lol:

I am now gonna duck.....! Be nice Joe, it was just a joke!!!
Tigger