Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Trail Cam "Tips and Tricks" 2020

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Trail Cam "Tips and Tricks" 2020

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 08, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Allrighty, let's share a few time proven tips and tricks that will maximize our trail cam effectiveness/efficiency when employed. Please try to add just a few each time you visit the thread to give everyone a chance to chime in ;). Let's hear em.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Trail Cam "Tips and Tricks" 2020

Postby Lefty » 01 08, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Secure your trail cam so bears and people can’t easily mess with it such as an elevated steel box
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 01 08, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Cheap, slow trigger cameras work fine at waterholes and places where animals are not just passing through. Even low resolution cameras are good enough for identifying what triggers your camera. They all have a date and time marker. That is useful in determining when animals are coming around.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Place your cams facing north or south whenever possible, it prevents sun flares/spot. Also, try to put them up more high than low (a good height is achieved by using two tree steps IMO), it helps keeps elk noses off of them (elk are really interested in that that thing on the tree), and, it helps from bears seeing if they can twist them off the tree.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 28, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Always test the picture/shot angle before you leave It for a month. Not fun to get back and see lots of legs and nothing else
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 05 28, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Set up higher
People don’t mess with them as much
Get rid of moving stuff grass and branches

Most animals will mess with them I have skunk eyeballs bear slober in bear country put in a security box

I think Ill cry
I had 309 bear pics and about a dozen pics of a fox in the back yard on the SD card. While sitting in the blind Thursday I viewed the pics,,, on my wifes camera, that I had never used and deleted some really good bear pics :( :(
Lefty

Postby Rangerz » 06 04, 2020 •  [Post 7]

To expand a little on what Swede said, try and place the camera where the animals might hang around a little bit, i.e., water, trail intersection, food source or mineral lick. Can even use salt to hold them in place where legal.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby Tigger » 06 05, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Double and triple check you have an SD card in and the thing is powered on and working.

I have found that sometimes the best place for a camera is not the place you would think.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 05, 2020 •  [Post 9]

I really think there is a place for good trail cams and cheap ones. Another point where cheap ones may not be adequate is on the distance where they can detect movement. I think 50 feet is pushing it on some really cheap ones. That may be adequate for some water holes or other destinations in cover, but not good it your nearest tree to hang your camera is 80 feet away. I have a pond that is about 100 feet long and has trees about 20 feet back from the water's edge. I would like to catch as much on the camera as possible. I will probably use a good camera. The problem is that, it is in a location where it could be found by other persons. I could try two cheap cameras there and get pretty good coverage as an option.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 05, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I’m all about the cheap cameras. As of yet I really haven’t had any problems. If I aim them right and set them up right I get good results.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 06 10, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Tigger wrote:Double and triple check you have an SD card in and the thing is powered on and working.
:lol: :lol:
And that little battery sign,, when it says low,..
Lefty

Postby Rangerz » 07 07, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Tigger wrote:Double and triple check you have an SD card in and the thing is powered on and working.

I have found that sometimes the best place for a camera is not the place you would think.

Put a camera at a good spot. Went back to check it after a few days and discovered the SD card not fully installed. ARRRRGH!

Luckily I hadn't left it for a month or something.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole