Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Power belts

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Power belts

Postby saddlesore » 11 16, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Not a gear review, but here is a tip to help keep the PB's together a bit better if you tend to push them faster than they are designed for. The Aero Tip and the hollow point are the same bullet if you take the plastic tip off the Aero Tip.

Using a 17 caliber lead pellet that pellets guns shoot, squeeze the skirt in just a little bit and then press it into the hollow point,( skirt goes in first). They fly the same and it does not effect accuracy.

The cow I shot this year you can still see the pellet in the hollow point and the bullet has nice mushroom. I use a3 78 GR bullet, but only use 80 gr of BH209
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Power belts

Postby Lefty » 11 17, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Elk for Dinner!
Congratulations

We have a few PB left
But I think I’m switching bullets

A combination of what; I don’t know but we had very poor performance last year
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkduds » 11 17, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Don't mess with success, right? Liking Vince's DIY ingenuity. I gave up on powerbelts some years back, they slid forward off the powder charge after loading in my .54. Then I changed guns, never tried powerbelts in my CVA Optima .50. While Vince brings home elk, I have never done so w a muzzy. Just a number of mulies.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 11 18, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Elkduds wrote:Don't mess with success, right? Liking Vince's DIY ingenuity. I gave up on powerbelts some years back, they slid forward off the powder charge after loading in my .54. Then I changed guns, never tried powerboats in my CVA Optima .50. While Vince brings home elk, I have never done so w a muzzy. Just a number of mulies.

PB were recommended by a number of people to us
We tried different loads but got no consistency in our guns but still haven’t shot enough to know where the problem lies but we are thinking the loose bullet and skirt of PB

A buddies wife had the same problem with the same gun and PB

He said a ball and patch was more consistent and now uses a cast bullet and greased patch

I still have a muzzle loader elk hunt
Andmuwife ent me a text she put a heifer Holstein in the pasture :( :evil:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H