Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Viper Trick /Shuttle T-1st Impression!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Viper Trick /Shuttle T-1st Impression!

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Well, I have both in my hand, shot the Viper Tricks last year so am familiar with performance & accuracy! Just received the Shuttle T's & I must say I'm not that impressed! They feel like pop metal, not saying they will not work but when compared side by side with the Viper Tricks out of the package the Viper Trick is hands down the more solid head & it's no contest on sharpness out of the package, the Viper Trick is unreal sharp the Shuttle T is not, it needs honing & I'll bet that's not easy! I have not shot both yet! But do know the Trick is very accurate to 80yds, I did not shoot them any further! Thought I'd pass this on!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Viper Trick /Shuttle T-1st Impression!

Postby dotman » 12 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I assuming yours are New for 2012 black version right? I was the complete opposite in view point, lol. There is a broadhead test that was done on AT and the shuttle t smoked the competition :). Can't remember if the viper was in it. Mt shuttle t's came razor Sharpe out of the package, I did hear a few of the first batch had issues but if you call they will replace those.
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 02, 2012 •  [Post 3]

No, they were the shiny chrome looking ones? I received them from another hunter, I haven't seen the black ones. Those may change my viewpoint! (grin) Those Viper Tricks will be tough to top though but I'd like to check the black ones out now, you've got my curiosity up! (grin)

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby 2OArchery » 12 02, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I also heard they were having some sharpness issues. I'm pretty sure if you call they will replace them.
2OArchery

Postby dotman » 12 02, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Yeah the old version had issues from what I have found in my research, in 2012 they came out with the black version and they now have a surgical instrument company doing their sharpening. Order up one package of the blacks for around $35 and you will be happier :)

Here are the ones you want http://www.cabelas.com/product/Trophy-T ... l+Products
dotman

Postby dotman » 12 02, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I wonder if you could order just the replacement blades for $15, would think they would work on the ones you have.

Here you go http://www.cabelas.com/product/Trophy-T ... l+Products
dotman

Postby LckyTylr » 12 03, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I have no experience with the Viper's, but I have had both the 1st and 2nd generation of Shuttle-T's. I, as many people did, felt that the first generation was butter-knife-sharp. Not impressed with them, but they flew soooooo well out of my old finicky bow that I was forced to try the 2nd generation. I tried a few other options on the market in the interim, but nothing flew that well. When I opened up the 2nd generation (black), I was much happier. In my experience however, the blades truly are disposable. I shot a lot of whitetails with Muzzy 100's and shot multiple deer with each head, only having to lightly touch up the edges between kills (I know, I'm cheap). The Shuttle-T's are a one-kill deal, but they are very effective. Last year I shot my mulie at 36 yards with a 32" Gold Tip out of a 70# 29.5" draw PSE Carerra (11 year old bow). I hit rib and clipped shoulder blade on the entrance and broke rib on the exit, only the fletching remained in the chest cavity. He dropped at the shot, stood up, fell down again and rolled twice (breaking the shaft), stood up and went two short jumps before he fell down and died while sliding down the hill. Hit was high double lung, shot to death elapse was ~15 seconds, no kicking, no twitching, DEAD.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby romey » 12 03, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I had a hunter in camp brought those T`s and for all the internet talk about how great they are I was SERIOUSLY shocked with how poor they were. Very very dull, hard to sharpen and cheap feeling. Within a couple hours said hunter had tried some Wasp hammers I had and was using them for rest of the hunt as even after buying the Shuttles when a comparison was made he to realized the difference.
romey

First Name: Romey
Last Name: B

Postby a3dhunter » 12 03, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I have not shot the Viper Trick, but I've shot a lot of different broadheads over the years and I am now shooting Shuttle T's 125 gr..
I found that the low wind resistance decreased my pin gap, making me more accurate on longer shots even if the yardage was off a little bit. I found with all things being equal my Shuttle T's were hitting with 3-4" less drop than the next most accurate head I've shot (G5 Strikers). The Slick Tricks caused even more drag and shot with more drop than 3 blade compact heads I've shot.

I shot my bull at 65 yards with a Shuttle T this year and the bull made it 3 jumps, and ended up dead within 15 yards of where he was shot.

And Paul, that was out of my PSE xforce, 29.5" 70#.
The arrow burried so far into the ground after passing through that I had trouble pulling it out. One blade had a small nick in it. I'm impressed with the flight and performance of the Shuttle T's.
a3dhunter

First Name: jason
Last Name: mcbride

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Guys, thank you for your thoughts, it's great to read the various experiences with these heads! I will be shooting the two heads mentioned side by side & see what I think of them, after that this will help me decide if the black ones will get a test run as well?

a3dhunter, welcome sir! Nice photo there & congrats on your bull!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 11]

ElkNut1 wrote:Guys, thank you for your thoughts, it's great to read the various experiences with these heads! I will be shooting the two heads mentioned side by side & see what I think of them, after that this will help me decide if the black ones will get a test run as well?

a3dhunter, welcome sir! Nice photo there & congrats on your bull!

ElkNut1

if the Shuttle work out..maybe you can use all the old ones as practice heads, and the black ones as the kill heads. good luck. the shuttles seem to difficult to sharpen for me. two of my buddies swear by them.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby buglmin » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I dunno Paul, maybe the heads you got were used, the blades were shot into targets, thats why they are dull. But I have a question, why do guys try to sharpen blades? Wouldnt it be easier, faster, and better to just replace the blades after they have been shot? Be replacing the blades, you are putting fresh, sharp blades on. Replacement blades dont cost that much. I never try to resharpen the blades on my heads, always carry replacement blades in my pack.
Seems everybody has their favorite head, and will swear by them. For years, mine was the Wasp or Muzzy line, and I sold a lot of Muzzy 90 grainers...but now a head that really caught my attention is the Solid Braodhead S30V from Solid Broadhead Company. It's a coc head, 1 1/8", .062 main blade thickness, and its made in Biose, Id. It reminds me of the old Brute broadhead that was made in the 80's. From what I've read and been told, arrow flight from high speed compounds is etremely well, and the toughness of the head is unreal...I'm waiting for some to show up now, gotta see what the excitment is about.
buglmin

Postby POk3s » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Did my response get deleted???? or did I not hit "Submit"???? Either is possible lol.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Trent, no post were deleted that I know of, but, I do remember seeing it???? Not sure what happened? Did you delete it? (grin)

pointysticks, yes I had thought of them as practice heads as well!

buglmin, Ha Ha, I too took several critters with those old bullet tipped brute heads! I'm one of those guys that am never satisfied with the sharpness of a head out of the package, I always have the mentality that they must be honed up! I did receive 9 unused replacement blades too for the Shuttle T, they were not even close to what I consider sharp. The Viper Trick is unreal sharp out of the package, it needs no honing at all. They are easy to resharpen as well, I did this after I took a bull with one & then my son took a bull with the same head, that head is ready for a 3rd bull. Don't get me wrong, I will trade a broadhead for an elk every year! (grin) I've destroyed plenty of heads over the years that did their job. That's all I really ask out of a head, that it do its job, it's not important that they can be reused but there are ones I'm finding out over the years that are tough enough to do so.

Not sure if the black shuttle T heads are stronger feeling or in appearance but the shiny ones are brittle feeling in comparison to other heads I've used. I do not sell or work for Viper Trick/Slick Trick, just pointing out it is one of the few heads that is very well built & yes there are others. I will shoot these both as mentioned & see the results! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby POk3s » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 15]

ElkNut1 wrote:Trent, no post were deleted that I know of, but, I do remember seeing it???? Not sure what happened? Did you delete it? (grin)

ElkNut1

I don't think so :?
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby dotman » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 16]

POk3s wrote:
ElkNut1 wrote:Trent, no post were deleted that I know of, but, I do remember seeing it???? Not sure what happened? Did you delete it? (grin)

ElkNut1

I don't think so :?

Yeah I remember your post as well, maybe the internet is messing with you :)
dotman

Postby POk3s » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 17]

"What is this Star Wars!?"
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 12 06, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I always turn a shot broadhead into a practice head or replace the blades And use it for small game or turkeys. I only use "New" Shuttle T's for big game. Just a quirp I have. I have been shooting the Shuttle T 100's for a few years now and love them. Bulls, bucks and bears down quick. I also question why would you want to sharpen a replacement blade broadhead? Isn't that what they are designed to do? Replace dull blades with new sharp ones. I stopped sharpening broad heads in the late 70's. I have had no problem with dull blades with the T's out of the package. I did order a few packs of the Black Op Shuttle T's just before last season, and discovered they were the same blades and ferral and just sprayed black. Not worth the extra cost to me. Just use a black sharpy to get the same effect if you want black blades. My first experience with the T's had me stumped. The entry hole was a lot bigger than the broadhead. After further research, I found out the design of the point pulled the hide in at impact and when blades started cutting the hide retracts and creates a larger hole. Sounds like a lot, but several elk and deer later, I had the same result. As of now, I have no reason to shoot anything else. The old saying, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby buglmin » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Now, after reading crazyelkhunter's post and reading bout the way the big holes are made on the enterance on the broadhead, I dunno bout Shuttle T's...No head should have to push hide in, it should start cutting on contact. Thats why on coc heads, you get slices and slits...even when I shot Muzzy 90 grains, we sharpened the tips and the heads cut on contact, there was no hide being pushed in before the head broke through the skin. Such performance robs energy and reduces penetration...
buglmin

Postby POk3s » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I read somewhere that their blade design was designed to "pop" the hide when it entered. I don't know what to believe but my entrance holes are also bigger than the exits.....but there have been exits on everything I've shot with them except one buck antelope at 70 yards. Blew his heart out and hit the bottom of the leg bone on the opposite side. Two pass throughs on elk.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby mattstanton » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 21]

shuttle t locs are not as sharp as others but they are as tough as they come, fly like darts and the wound chanel they leave is outstanding!! I have taken 3 bulls and a cow with them, as well as some other smaller critters. Only head I will use for big game!!!
mattstanton

Postby dotman » 12 08, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Didn't take pics but just finished cutting up my doe from this morning, was dead in seconds and went 20 yards. Had the loins for lunch, yumm. This head has proven itself so far :)
dotman

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 23]

buglmin wrote:Now, after reading crazyelkhunter's post and reading bout the way the big holes are made on the enterance on the broadhead, I dunno bout Shuttle T's...No head should have to push hide in, it should start cutting on contact. Thats why on coc heads, you get slices and slits...even when I shot Muzzy 90 grains, we sharpened the tips and the heads cut on contact, there was no hide being pushed in before the head broke through the skin. Such performance robs energy and reduces penetration...

I have had no problem with penetration with the Shuttle's. Even at 59 yards on a heavy 6x6 bull 3 years ago and only shooting 58lbs, I had complete pass through. Even a cut on contact BH on thick or thin hide will have some degree of the the hide being pushed in. I thought I missed the bull I shot last year at 32yds because the arrow blew through the bulls chest so fast and stuck in the ground behind him. Ive used a lot of replacement blade broad heads in my 40+ years of bowhunting, and feel these are the best I have ever used to this date. Very easy to tune and fly like darts. No need to adjust sight or bow when switching from field points to broad heads. :D
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer