Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Pre-Hunt Gear Shakedown.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Pre-Hunt Gear Shakedown.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 03, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Hunting buddy came down Sunday with his wall tent (we decided to deploy it this year on our first elk hunt, for the first time in 6-7 years). Found out there were 3 legs missing (not sure where they went; shop gnomes?). I’m gonna get the missing legs replaced via a local fencing store (1” conduit). We also burned off a new tent stove so we’re not sucking in those fumes our first night at base camp. Didn’t have a damper so I fabricated one and it seems to work fine. Also checked out all our backcountry spike camp(s) gear to ensure it was serviceable. What have you found after dragging out, checking, staging your hunting gear that needed “attention”?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Pre-Hunt Gear Shakedown.

Postby Elkhntr08 » 09 04, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I drug out my 300 saum the other day and for some reason it doesn’t like the 180 Sciroccos any more. I had shortened the OAL so they cycled better through the mag and they would not shoot! Had to start over, not something I’d planned on doing. After half a day, got a 180 Accubond to shoot less than a inch.
Have 3 days left, so may take the .325 wsm out and see what she’ll do. Yes, I like oddballs.
Elkhntr08

Postby 7mmfan » 09 05, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I experienced significant issues with my rifle a month or so ago. Luckily it was just copper fouling and a good cleaning brought her right back to zero. The only other issue I have is that I was putting my pack together last night for an overnight bear hunt this weekend and my kill kit is missing. Knife, sharpener, tags, tape, gloves, etc... gone. I'm sure it's in the house somewhere, I just haven't the foggiest clue where I would have put it other than right back in the hunting tote.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 09 06, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I need to burn off a new wood stove. I bought one from Camp Chef. Pretty nice! I had it shipped to my buddies house in Wyoming and checked it out when I was there last week. I guess I’ll have to burn it off when I get there right before I actually use it.

Rory you can buy 1 inch emt conduit from Lowes or Home Depot cheap.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 06, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Indian Summer wrote:I need to burn off a new wood stove. I bought one from Camp Chef. Pretty nice! I had it shipped to my buddies house in Wyoming and checked it out when I was there last week. I guess I’ll have to burn it off when I get there right before I actually use it.

Rory you can buy 1 inch emt conduit from Lowes or Home Depot cheap.

Yep, got two 10 footers from Lowes and cut em to size at the house (needed three 5' 3" poles for legs); good thing I picked up a new hacksaw blade when I was there. Been a while since I burned off a new tent stove; glad we did it... there was some funky fumes coming off of it for a good hour :shock:.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ