Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Game Planner Maps

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Game Planner Maps

Postby Swede » 05 06, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I just got my new GPMap. I will share my appraisal of it.
Here are the positive things I see:
Looks and feels very durable. I will not worry about getting it a little wet either.
Coverage is perfect, and there is enough overlap between the two sides that I can turn the map over and quickly realign.
The GPS coordinates are easy to follow so orientating is easy.
The open roads and trails are clearly marked. Natural features are easy to see.
The scale is just right for field use. It covers all of my area and then some, so only the one map is needed in the field and in camp.

Negative: Some of the lighter lettering appears fuzzy and strains my eyes. I will admit that my wife can read it easier than I, and it is just some of the lighter lettering that I had trouble with. Maybe the material is what causes the fuzziness, or maybe I just need to see my ophthalmologist again.

Ed at GPMaps is very easy to work with and made every effort to meet my needs. I am not ready for the July scouting trip or Archery elk hunt to follow in August, but thanks to Ed my map is.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Game Planner Maps

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 07, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Nice review John. I also like GP Maps. Gotta get one ordered for a couple of new areas myself.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Did you add a layer of satellite imagery to the topo map? If so that’s what makes letters fuzzy. I did that last year but not doing it again. Everything is crystal clear without that.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 4]

[quote="Swede

Negative: Some of the lighter lettering appears fuzzy and strains my eyes. I will admit that my wife can read it easier than I, and it is just some of the lighter lettering that I had trouble with. Maybe the material is what causes the fuzziness, or maybe I just need to see my ophthalmologist again.

Reading glasses are on sale at WallyWorld for $5 bucks Swede!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 05 09, 2019 •  [Post 5]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Reading glasses are on sale at WallyWorld for $5 bucks Swede!

I know, I know. I was studying my new map until I had eye strain. That is not the map's fault. It was mine. The map is everything I need, and already has my tree stand locations marked on it.
It is common practice to make lesser features show lighter and be named with smaller print on maps.
I should have noted that the scale of the map is 1.25 inches per mile. I prefer that. I don't like the two or four inch per mile maps as they get too bulky. The smaller maps cause more eye strain on old eyes. I did get out my magnifying glass after a while.

I should try to sell it back to Ed so he would have a good map for hunting elk in Oregon.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics