Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Changed broadheads

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Changed broadheads

Postby dotman » 11 23, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Well after fighting with my NAP hellrazors with them not keeping an edge for the last 2 years (quiver would dull them) I jumped ship full force and picked up 2 packs of the trophy taker shuttle t's. Haven't had a chance to shoot them yet but I sure do hope they are as good as everyone says and hope they hold their edge in the quiver!
dotman

Re: Changed broadheads

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 24, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I too considered that head but decided against it because it appeared difficult to re-sharpen, I never tried to but it seemed that way but plenty of guys out there really like them!

I used the new Viper Trick last year by Slick Trick, it's a great razor sharp head that holds its edge better than any head I've ever used. With nearly 200 shots in a 3D target it was still sharp enough to shave arm hair, amazing! I'll use them this year again! Good Luck with the Shuttle T

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby buglmin » 11 24, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I didnt have any problems with the Hell Razors, and in reality, taking an arrow in and out of a quiver will dull any broadhead...seen it happen to Muzzys, Wasps, Wac'ems, Steel Force..thats why I'm either always sharpening heads during the hunt, and alway rotate my arrows in my quiver, my number one will become my number four, and number two will be number one...plus, dont you always shoot your broadheads during the hunt?
I started shooting the Wasp line of heads again last fall, gave up on Muzzy after 15 years of using them...The Shuttle heads look like a good head, heard a lot of positive comments about them from some great guys shooting them...Good luck with them
buglmin

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 24, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I'm with buglemin. If I pull an arrow from the quiver, it gets a touch up on the sharpener that evening. But I have switched to Stingers and I have to say that after over 100 shots into my foam broadhead target, they still feel pretty dang sharp to the touch. I resharpened one of them just the other day and with just a few licks on the hone, it was back to hair spliting sharp again.

No matter what head you like to shoot, "If your eye lashes don't fall off just from looking at them, they ain't sharp enough"!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby dotman » 11 24, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I shoot broadheads year round and the hell razors would not hold an edge at all (dull to the touch after a few shots on my target) and I never seemed to be able to get them as sharp as I would like. I like that I can sharpen the shuttle t's but also have spare replacement blades on hand. They are really really Sharpe right out of the package, hellrazors I always had to touch up right out of the package.

I really wanted to like the hellrazors, gave them two years and they just didn't do it for me. I had little confidence in them due to the fact I couldn't get that sharpness I demand. I agree they should cut your eye lashes just looking at them and I never could get them to hardly shave arm hair.
dotman

Postby elkoholic » 11 24, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I also switched broadheads this year. I didn't get to hunt this year, but I love the way the viper trick fly and how amazingly sharp they are. I switched from rage 2 blade.
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby bnsafe » 11 25, 2012 •  [Post 7]

beings im moving out west i switched from the rage 3 blade to the regular slick tricks. havnt shot anything with them, but they look awesome.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby POk3s » 11 25, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I've used Shuttle T's the past two seasons for elk. I have never sharpened the heads at all.

2011 I shot a bull at 55 yards and got a complete pass through. I shot him in the heart so he ran 80 yards and was dead within seconds.

2012 I shot my bull at 40. I don't even think my arrow even knew he was there. Blew through him and found the arrow sticking out of the dirt 20 yards behind where my bull was. After the shot, the bull ran 15 yards, stood there for a couple seconds, got wobbly legged and was dead. Two bulls in two years and they weren't on their feet for more than one minute COMBINED after the shot. I will say that having the right arrow set up is equally or even more important than a good broadhead....especially when shooting such big bodied animals as elk. I use the 125 grain shuttle t's.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby 13bonatter69 » 11 25, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I am changing broadheads next year as well. The problem is...I have started using the injections with deep six insert. I am considering the ramcat as well as the exodus. I believe the exodus is coming out with a deep six version in 2013. My question is...Have any of you used either of these heads on elk. I really want to try the ramcat, it is supposed to penetrate like no other, but it looks like it would be difficult to resharpen. I am a stickler on RAZOR sharp heads, and the ramcat could be a bugger to resharpen. Does anyone have any experience with either of these heads? Thanks Billy
13bonatter69

First Name: Billy
Last Name: Bell

Postby dotman » 11 25, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Wow! So not only did I change the broadhead but also refleched the arrows from 3 vane to 4 vane and these things are deadly accurate :). So far I'm very impressed.
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 26, 2012 •  [Post 11]

dotman wrote:Wow! So not only did I change the broadhead but also refleched the arrows from 3 vane to 4 vane and these things are deadly accurate :). So far I'm very impressed.

Yep :) 4 fletch w/Shuttle Ts are hard to beat.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I switched to Shuttle T 100 3 years a go. 3 bulls, 3 bucks, all fell in sight. 1 bull was 59 yards with complete penetration and only went 20 yards. Of course any broadhead will work through the lungs, but the Shuttle T's fly like my field points and are scalpel sharp and very solid. Been bowhunting for over 40 years, and so far they are the best I have used. ;)
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Man I loved those new Viper Tricks but I do have some Shuttle T heads coming this week, I will compare them & see what I think! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dotman » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 14]

ElkNut1 wrote:Man I loved those new Viper Tricks but I do have some Shuttle T heads coming this week, I will compare them & see what I think! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut1

:) let us know your thoughts for sure. I'm still grinning about these things :).
dotman

Postby pointysticks » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 15]

i regret not trying four vane arrows. i think that configuration would really hide alot of sins in bow tuning :)

my buddy shoots the shuttle T's and he is deadly accurate. he numbers them and matches them to arrows..he keeps going around putting broadheads to arrows until they time perfectly and the vanes line up with the blades on the broadhead. i thought he was foolishly wasting his time until i watched him shoot a buck at 92 yards. i still get annoyed by hunting with him..he hucks the arrows far instead of trying to stalk closer. difficult trying to set up a stalk when he says..."wait, let me shoot from here"...haha.

no denying he is a killing machine. good luck!!

my broadheads are grim reapers, montecs (that i sharpen myself) and slick trick magnum..all 100 gr. my bow shoots all three nicely.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 16]

pointysticks wrote:i regret not trying four vane arrows. i think that configuration would really hide alot of sins in bow tuning :)

my buddy shoots the shuttle T's and he is deadly accurate. he numbers them and matches them to arrows..he keeps going around putting broadheads to arrows until they time perfectly and the vanes line up with the blades on the broadhead. i thought he was foolishly wasting his time until i watched him shoot a buck at 92 yards. i still get annoyed by hunting with him..he hucks the arrows far instead of trying to stalk closer. difficult trying to set up a stalk when he says..."wait, let me shoot from here"...haha.

no denying he is a killing machine. good luck!!

my broadheads are grim reapers, montecs (that i sharpen myself) and slick trick magnum..all 100 gr. my bow shoots all three nicely.

92 yards.. Now that is a one heck of a shot!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ