Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Creek, Stream Crossing Methods?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Creek, Stream Crossing Methods?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I’m not talking little tiny creeks that you can pretty much jump across, or, do the quick “two step hop boogie” to splash/splash across. I’m referring to those 15+ foot wide and from ankle to knee deep flowing obstacles. Do you just forge across them, soaking your pants, boots, socks, and just relinquish yourself to the fact that you’re gonna have wet boots for days? Curious to hear what some of you cats do/use for stream crossings that are unavoidable to get you where you want to go, or, back from……
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Creek, Stream Crossing Methods?

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 2]

It depends. If I know I will have a stream to cross that is fairly deep, I will take my crocks with me. Otherwise I just take off my boots socks and if necessary my pants and wade across. I don't want to have wet feet when hiking. The time taken to avoid wet feet and blisters is well worth it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I usually just kick my feet out of the stirrups and keep my feet out above the water. :lol:
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 25, 2019 •  [Post 4]

saddlesore wrote:I usually just kick my feet out of the stirrups and keep my fee out above the water. :lol:
8-)

I like bridges. When I was a kid my dad dropped a 40" red pine across the small river near Hinkley Minnesota .
My daughter and I have done the hop skip jump splash splash a few times.results were across the stream and wet feet.
When backpacking Ill strip down to my underwear on the bottoms and a pair of socks to protect my feet a bit and use the trekking poles.

Two years ago in June , deep fast snow melt while hiking the Wind Rivers , I just charged across the water to my arm pits, all my clothes on.I hefted my pack up My dog wouldn't cross, again the water was fast. I grabbed her and pulled her across,we were washed downstream before I got my feet solid Then hiked as fast as I could before stopping to put anything on that was dry. Interestingly I never felt cold in the ice water,.. Tons of adrenaline, and the motivation of the day old elk carcass, my dogs raised hackles and lowered tail. One of those times scared in the woods
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H