Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Remington Core-Loct Bullets.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Remington Core-Loct Bullets.

Postby Swede » 04 10, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I did not read this in the Book of Exodus, but I suspect Moses and Joshua were out hunting in the wilderness using Remington Core-Loct bullets. They have been around forever and are still popular. I think the Hornaday Interlock bullets are very similar. How much better are the new high buck bullets when it comes to killing game? Since WW was out there in the wilderness at the same time he probably shared a camp with them a time or two. Maybe he can shed some light on what bullets Moses and Joshua were shooting just as a point of clarification.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Remington Core-Loct Bullets.

Postby wawhitey » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Theyre not as consistent as more expensive ammo, more variation in velocity, but theyll get the job done at reasonable ranges. Ive killed a number of deer and bear with core lokts from 10 - 350 yards. My old model 88 shoots the 150s surprisingly well.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:I did not read this in the Book of Exodus, but I suspect Moses and Joshua were out hunting in the wilderness using Remington Core-Loct bullets. They have been around forever and are still popular. I think the Hornaday Interlock bullets are very similar. How much better are the new high buck bullets when it comes to killing game? Since WW was out there in the wilderness at the same time he probably shared a camp with them a time or two. Maybe he can shed some light on what bullets Moses and Joshua were shooting just as a point of clarification.

I have it on weak interpretation they were copper-jacked round-balls from a sling :lol:

Killed my first two whitetail bucks with core-locts 1971
My first buck I was using shells from this box out of a pre 64 lever action that I still have ! then a big load of 220 gn out of a .308
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG (103.22 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Remington Core-Loct 001.JPG
Remington Core-Loct 001.JPG (224.71 KiB) Viewed 7049 times

Things apparently don't get discarded around here. They take on a new life. The old box had 308 Win. bullets, but got used for bullets for the 35 Marlin (Remington) with the Ballard rifling.
Swede

Postby Swede » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 5]

wawhitey wrote:Ive killed a number of deer and bear with core lokts from 10 - 350 yards. My old model 88 shoots the 150s surprisingly well.

Lefty's 30-30 and that old 35 Rem. would have to shoot in relays to make a clean kill at 350 yards. :D
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Just like broadheads bullets serve a very important purpose. Sure you send a bullet or arrow on it’s way but ultimately it’s up to the projectile to do the actual damage resulting in a dead.... and recovered animal. Core Lokt bullets are definitely fine for deer and at reasonable ranges. But better ammo is worth it. It’s more consistent and you can even buy match grade ammo. Accuracy is crucial to effectiveness. Placement of a bullet or arrow is obviously a huge factor between animals dropping in their tracks, following blood trails, and unrecovered ones. So consistency matters. But in thick skinned heavy boned animals like elk weight retention matters too so bullet construction is a big deal. Bonded or partition bullets are more effective than those round nosed quick mushrooming Core Lokt bullets. The fact that they are cheap and available literally everywhere is probably the main reason they account for more dead deer than any other brand and model.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 7]

308 W Core-Loct 002.JPG
308 W Core-Loct 002.JPG (239.42 KiB) Viewed 7043 times

Here is a picture of a box of 150 gr 308 W Core-loct bullets. The box is about two years old now. They are not round nose. The hold together well in deer and elk and they sure seem to pattern well in my gun.
I see the box advertises that Core-Locts have been around 75 years. Ok I got it wrong about Moses shooting them. Maybe he was shooting the old Remington Clean-Bore bullets.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:
wawhitey wrote:Ive killed a number of deer and bear with core lokts from 10 - 350 yards. My old model 88 shoots the 150s surprisingly well.

Lefty's 30-30 and that old 35 Rem. would have to shoot in relays to make a clean kill at 350 yards. :D

That one may have been luck, but a perfect steady rest on my pack laying prone in the mud didnt hurt. Either way, bear down.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 9]

To be fair, I have never attempted a 350 yard shot with the 35 Marlin. I have never has an accuracy issue, or problem with kill performance with Core-Locts. I have not shot them in my 338 Win Mag. Maybe at higher velocities is where I.S. would demonstrate the problems. Don't know. In my old 308W they performed well. They were fine in the 35 Marlin. That old Marlin you bought brought back memories. It is still a great gun.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 04 11, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Yeah im hoping to take the marlin out hunting for something this year, we will see what my time off is like. All i know with any level of certainty right now is that im taking all of late archery deer off. Nov 10 - dec 15. Ill have to work pretyy much all of sept and october to get away with that though. Damn work. Wish i was a rich trust fund kid so i could just hunt and scout all the time.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 04 12, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Indian Summer wrote:,,,,,,Accuracy is crucial to effectiveness. Placement of a bullet or arrow is obviously a huge factor between animals dropping in their tracks, following blood trails, and unrecovered ones. ,,,,,,,.

Most hunters are unable to shoot as well as their weapon. Rifle, archery or Shotgun! I know I can no longer shoot like I use to with a rifle, well with my bow or shotgun either. :oops:
Hmm the neighbor that taught me to shoot set a new record a few years back , a perfect score with a .30 at age 78 . He had to build a gun that shoots as good as him.

My dad taught on big game shooting the crease, lungs and not wrecking meat. Few big game animals dropped straight down. My wife was taught center shoulder,. blowing the scapula up,.. loosing 3-15 lbs of deer meat, and dead where they stood. I think her dad mostly loaded Hornadys hunting load what ever that was.
Heart ( and top of heart ) shots arent a straight to the ground shot.
I just recall as a kid in the early 70's It was all Remington CoreLock in rifles fro big game
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhntr08 » 04 13, 2019 •  [Post 12]

All jokes aside, I picked up 117 rounds of 165 Core-Locs for my 300 SAUM when GM went under. Planning on sighting in for them and heading to Wyoming for bear. Hope the bears don’t read this thread.
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 04 13, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Elkhuntr08: I think the bears will love the Core-Loct bullets. The Core-Locts are fine medicine for bears. I know bullets by other manufacturer's are building bullets on the same principle the old tried and true Core-Locts are built on.
Let us know how they do. I have not shot them in a super high speed round, but I see Remington loads cartridges for them
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 13, 2019 •  [Post 14]

I’ve killed with them but as mentioned, at “reasonable” distances.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 04 14, 2019 •  [Post 15]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:I’ve killed with them but as mentioned, at “reasonable” distances.

I was talking with a competitive shooter the other day. She had her target rifle on display. It had a barrel that was about one inch in diameter. The trigger is set at 2 oz. pull. She reloaded a case many times with it marked so it went into the chamber the same way every time. Everything about the gun and the ammo was matched and precision. I do not know what bullets she was using, but the shell cases cost several dollars each. They were special made. I am satisfied that many bullets and powder mixes were tested before she arrived at the best combination for her gun.
Hunting rifles are not match grade and the box of bullets you buy off the shelf is not either. With all of the variables to consider, including wind and weather, and the largest variable being the shooter, the smallest factor would be the variableness between Core-Loct bullets of the kind and size.
Swede

Postby baddaddy » 04 17, 2019 •  [Post 16]

The Core Lokt is a good cup and core bullet. Just don't try to push them too fast. At normal velocities they work great. Just wish Remington still made a 250 grain .358 component for my Whelen.
baddaddy

Postby Aubs8 » 02 29, 2020 •  [Post 17]

180 Gr. Core Lokts shoot better out of my .300 WM than more expensive bullets. I have been lucky enough to use them without issue on Elk, Moose, Sheep, Griz and Mtn. Goat all ranging from 250-415 yards. The farthest shot on elk was 335.

My daughter took her first elk this past fall with 7mm-08, 140 gr. Core Lokts at 330 yards.

And they are cheap :)

Take care.
Mike
Aubs8

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 01, 2020 •  [Post 18]

After a few Sundays, our new preacher recognized there were many hunters in the congregation. So he did a sermon on David and Goliath. But it was unlike most bible stories. Instead, since he was sort of a gun crank himself, it was about the ballistics of David's sling. He had somehow figured the weight of the projectile and the velocity produced by David's sling and converted it into foot pounds of energy. I found it to be a very interesting sermon. But I doubt that David had any Core Loc Rocks! :shock:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 03 01, 2020 •  [Post 19]

I am not sure what your point is WW, but I am taking it that you don't need the most expensive high end projectiles to get the job done. I agree, and Remington Core Locs have always been plenty for what I hunt.
Swede