Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What Kind Of Boots?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What Kind Of Boots?

Postby Swede » 02 18, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I am not interested in brands because some fit my feet, and some don't. I have small feet, size 7 and they are definitely not wide either. Most of you went past that point in junior high school. Anyway to the point: What kind of boot do you normally wear hunting? I have some un-insulated 6" high Vibram soled boots and some 9 inch top un=insulated Vibram soled boots. They were water proof for about 15 minutes after I purchased them. I guess they don't make Gore-Tex like they used to.
If the weather gets real ugly I have some packs and some over shoes.
Also, do you like the boots you have?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What Kind Of Boots?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 18, 2019 •  [Post 2]

All my hunting boots are leather, goretex lined, all are insulated at varying degrees, and have varying sole patterns. They all work well for their target environmental considerations. I have a new favorite pair for early-mid archery season boots that are mid-degree insulated (200 grams), good sole design, and waterproof “so far”. Extremely comfortable out of the box, good ankle support, and won’t break the bank. They are the ******* *** ** boots. Kind of a tough topic without name brands mister :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 18, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Have a pair of 9” uninsulated boots that quite being waterproof a couple years ago, but, danner, I still like them.
For the colder Treks, 9” insulated leather.
My boot size isn’t much bigger, 9.5 B.
Elkhntr08

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 19, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Just about anything with a good wide heel works for me. I have tried just about everything from sneakers to 11 inch gortex leather. But when things get really wet and nasty, I wear Mucks. They are comfortable and always waterproof.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 19, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I have severe neorapathy in my legs if my feet aren’t kept warm I get painful sensations in my feet
If hot and dry I wear a high top desert hiker
Then I go to a high top 400 gram thindulre goretex synthetic boot
When there is any amount of snow I have some very high top 2000 gram rubber leather Lacrouix boot which are incredible
I believe I purchased them at theBrowning outlet in Morgan Utah truely incredible; great support warm and dry
And were never put on the market

My daughter spends most of her hunting in lowtop trainer shoes they look like tennis shoes
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 02 19, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I guess I should have worded the "brands" thing differently. It is ok to mention whatever brand you like. I am not interested in that as my experience is that what fits you may not fit me. Leather Gore-Tex lined insulated are more where my interest is. I don't get cold feet until someone asks me to do something I don't want to do, but that is a different issue.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 20, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Early season a breathable synthetic may be better.
My late season Lacrouix boots are rubber-toed and heels with rubber coming up the side of the foot.The rest is leather Im wearing out some keens mid tops that are rubber toed, with both synthetic material and leather.
Soft rubber soles
I see a lot of guys wearing rubber Muck insulated boots,... They are not for me

I have a pair of high top 400 gram thinsulater Under Armour boots,.. almost hate them
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 02 21, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I did a gear review on the Schnees so I wont rehash that, but I am really not that interested in owning any other boot. I have had Danners (good, but not in the same league as my Schnees) as well. If they are going to be a mountain boot, they need to be a little stiff with a good grippy sole.
Tigger

Postby Old school » 02 21, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Lowa Caminos - by far my favorite, 10/10 for my feet. Kenetrek Hardscrabble - not as comfortable as the Lowa Caminos but still ok 8/10. Both are mid height boots and fine for early season warm to cool weather mountain hunting. Have worn the Cabelas Meindls for a couple years as well but they bothered my feet too much.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby VT Sasquatch » 02 22, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I have somewhat narrow, low volume feet. In dress shoes I wear 11.5 but in C width. I don't have that option in boots so I just go with standard 11.5 D. Anyway, most of my hunting boots are leather and lined with Goretex. I do have a pair of inexpensive Irish Setter that are synthetic on the outside - Cordua, I think. They are waterproof and need no treatment.

In my opinion, the GoreTex lining is kind of the last line of defense. If you have your leather properly coated the water will never get to the GoreTex. I use Kennetrek boot dressing the most but Sno Seal or a ton of other products work. I think the GoreTex is useful for trips where you hike a lot through tall grass, snow, etc. that will eventually wear the coating off. I may be stating the obvious but the wax coatings are a big help.
VT Sasquatch

Postby jmez » 02 28, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Hanwag Alaskan GTX for the mountains. It is a 8 inch all leather boot with GT lining and a Vibram sole. I like a stiff sole and a lot of ankle support and these give both. They fit my foot very well and in the 6 years that I've had them I've never had a blister or had to tape a hot spot.

For deer hunting around here I wear rubber boots with 400g insulation. They will keep my feet warm to around 30 degrees. When it gets below that I put a pair of Arcitc Shield boot blankets over them in the stand. This combo works until it gets down in the low teens. They are quick and easy to put on and all I do is walk to a stand in them so work for their purpose.

When it starts to get really cold I switch to a big, bulky Pac boot.

For bird hunting I just buy a pair of unisultated GT lined leather/Cordura lightweight boot. Usually whatever I can find on sale. These will also have a vibram sole and be 8 inches high.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Elkhntr08 » 03 01, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Just got a pair of Irish Setter Elk Hunter’s last night. They have a snug fit right now, but I’m sure that’ll change. Have a trip to St Louis on Saturday, so I’ll start the break in then.
Elkhntr08