Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Traditional Archery.... where to start?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Traditional Archery.... where to start?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 01, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Osage Outlaw's recent thread got me thunking (he's a traditional archery kinda guy)..... If a person wanted to get started in traditional archery, where should he/she start? What kind of bow (type/poundage) should somebody get for their first bow.... what kind of arrows (aluminum, carbon, wood).... quiver (bow mounted/side)...... broadheads....... how to start practicing....... etc.?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Traditional Archery.... where to start?

Postby Swede » 02 01, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I think it all depends on just how traditional you want to go. Some of the well built recurve and long bows are pretty sophisticated and expensive. Some are one piece and some take down bows. You could make a bow in your basement and it too would be traditional. If you are like me the basement bow would not be laminated or fancy.
You can place a knapped out piece of obsidian on a long stick and attach some turkey feathers or go with modern arrows and broadheads. You need to decide what your objective is and how much you are willing to pay or do yourself.
I think a lot of this is about how I want to perceive myself. If I want to look like Daniel Boone, I will get a musket and the leather clothes and go from there. If I want to look like Red Cloud, then I will equip myself and dress accordingly. How big is your budget?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 02 01, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Before one decides to go this route, the limitations of trad gear must be understood. Your range will decrease even though your practice time should increase. It will be harder. You need to balance the enjoyment of harvesting (likely) more game vs the enjoyment of the method.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 02 01, 2019 •  [Post 4]

A long time ago,just after dirt was invented I hunted deer with a long bow and cedar shaft arrows, std 3 blade broad head. The quivers were usually leather hung across the back. Aluminum arrows were just start ing to come on the market. As I remember it , it had a 55 pound pull and I used a 27" draw. Recreational archery shooting with long bows was quite popular back then. When leaving PA, in 64,the bow stayed at my father's place. In New Mexico, I bought a recurve bow, used same type same type of arrows. I never did elk hunt with it and don't remember killing any deer either.

A friend of mine killed a record bull moose here in Colorado about 4 years ago with a traditional long bow and homemade arrows.

Back in the 50s', while still a teenager, we made quite a few bows out of osage orange wood as it was plentiful around where I grew up. We scoured the country side for good straight willow or cherry whips that made good arrows.We fletched with domestic turkey feathers and made metal arrow heads out of anything we could scrounge. Cotton tails didn't stand a chance.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 01, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Traditional bows started right can quickly lead to success and enjoyment. Started wrong, it can cause headaches that last for years. If I were to do it all over, I'd start by buying:

1. The Push: Solid Archery Mechanics Course. https://thepusharchery.teachable.com/p/ ... -mechanics
I'd go through the course, and see if it recommends certain gear, and if not I'd go get the following:

2. A cheap ILF recurve from Lancaster archery with 25-30 lb limbs (I would budget $250 for the riser and limbs)

3. A decent string for said bow, from any one of the custom shops out there.

4. A dozen cheap arrows in 600 spine, prefletched.

5. A 3 under tab and a target

Then I'd follow the course to a T. Memorize it all, then spend a good 6 months building solid form, and learning what makes a good shot process! After I had all that, I'd flip the first set of limbs and get another pair at 35-40 lbs, and some new arrows. Build more strength, and stair step up to 50 lb limbs at my draw length! After that I would start to worry about hunting.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Old school » 02 01, 2019 •  [Post 6]

My recommendation would be go to a trad shoot and shoot every brand of recurve and longbow you can. Just because a bowyer is popular and pricey doesn’t mean you’ll shoot his bows well. Find the one you shoot best and buy it. Don’t overbow. Sounds crazy but I’d start under 40 lbs on draw weight also. I currently shoot right around 45 and pass right through whitetails with ease.

Also don’t force yourself into someone else’s “proven form”. The DVD masters of the barebow has many great archers all with different styles/form. Find what you do best and what is natural to you and then lots of perfect practice...

-Mitch
Old school