Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Broadheads

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Broadheads

Postby Swede » 01 28, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Every year there are multiple questions about what broadhead to use on elk. There is a new one out that is touted as the best ever. The maker spent a year getting one dialed in and ready for the elk hunter market. It costs almost $100 for a three pack.

I have never used a mechanical broadhead for any game. But, here is my take on broadheads. I have never had a broadhead, fresh out of the package, that would not very effectively kill an elk.

I have not tried them all, but I have had a lot of different ones over the years. I have had Herter's Broadheads, Bear Razorheads, cut to the tip Satellite broadheads, Thunderheads 100s and 125s, Cyclones, Rocky Mountain Titanium 100s, Muzzy 4 blade broadheads, Carbon Express three blade broadheads, and now I have a bunch of 4 blade Slick Trick SS100 Standards.

I prefer shorter three or four blade broadheads as they don't plane on me. They hit where the field points do.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Broadheads

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Swede, I drank the koolaid. Bought the new $30 a head COC broadheads. I can tell you, they fly like field points, but so do ViperTricks; they are the sharpest heads I’ve ever seen; they stay sharp, 100 shots in a Block Vault and will still cut you.
Shot a doe with one, pass through and did not hit a bone. Not the best blood trail, but she only went 40 yards. Arrow stuck in the dirt and when I pulled it out, the tip was bent. After 3 or 4 emails and photos back and forth, I received a new main blade.
Hope to put one through a bear this spring and an elk this fall. I know Elknut likes them, but I don’t know that they’re that much better than ViperTricks.
They do come in a cool box!
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Elkhntr08 wrote:They do come in a cool box!

At $100 per three pack they should come in a display case like the crown jewels.

MalWart has broadheads on clearance. I got a dozen Slick Trick SS 100 Standards for $17.00 per three pack the other day. It sure beats $100. These broadheads have replaceable blades. I will replace them each time I use one unless it is lost. That happens all too frequently.

It has been 20+ years since I shot a cut to the tip broadhead. All of the three and dour blade replaceable blade broadheads I have shot shoot the same as my field points. I have had no tuning issues going from one broadhead to another. I even have a mix in my quiver. The elk I shot in the picture with two arrows in her was shot with one Rocky Mountain Titanium and one Cyclone.
Swede

Postby Lsb » 01 29, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I've shot quite a few heads, never a mechanical. I've settled on Magnus stinger 4 blade, I like COC and they fly great. They do just fine, I can't justify $30 a broad head when I've been known to shoot grouse with a broad head....
Lsb

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 30, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Out of my rig, the Iron Will shoots to the same point as a ViperTrick or field point. I carry a ViperTrick for incidentals.
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 01 30, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Elkhntr08 wrote:Out of my rig, the Iron Will shoots to the same point as a ViperTrick or field point. I carry a ViperTrick for incidentals.

I wonder if some bows are just easier to tune than others. My Mathews Halon 32 seems very easy to tune, and the different broadheads all hit right where my field points do. I just purchased another dozen Slick Trick SS Standard 100 broadheads for $17.00 per three in a box from MalWart. I hope the Lord permits me to hunt effectively until I use up all of the broadheads on elk that I have now.
Swede

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 30, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I’m shooting a Elite E35 and it’s easy to get tuned. It also helps to take the time and effort to do it right. If I can’t get a bow to tune for me, it finds a new home.
Elkhntr08

Postby Old school » 02 01, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Swede - I stocked up at WalMart last year on the mossy oak inflictor (powered by slick trick). $9 for a 3 pack on clearance - they’re slick tricks packaged for Mossy Oak. I bought 9 packs so I will be set for the next 10 yrs or so.

For my trad bows I shoot Zwickey glue on’s or the old Magnus 2 blade screw-in non vented.

In my opinion, a properly tuned bow and sharp broadheads are far more important than the brand of broadhead that I shoot.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby ishy » 02 03, 2019 •  [Post 9]

+1 magnus stingers, but we use two blades. It's all about penetration.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I looked at the clearance yesterday in Walmart. The Mossy Oak SlickTrick were $15 for 3 and the SlickTrick mechanicals were $9. Must not be a big seller.
Elkhntr08