Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sharpening Broadheads

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sharpening Broadheads

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 1]

This morning I was cleaning out my desk, mainly to make more room for more junk, when I happened upon a KME Broadhead Sharpener that Elknut had sent me to try out a couple of years. So I thought, "Hey, it's time to give this thing a good honest try"!

I had a couple of practice arrows out in the garage with some Magnus 4 blade Stingers that had probably a hundred shots or better each into my styrofoam blocks. So you can imagian what kind of shape they were in.

I marked the cutting edge with a sharpie pen and loaded it up in the KME. Next, I gave it about 20 back and forth strokes on the course side of the stone. This was just enough to curl the edge over enough to feel it. Then I turned it over and curled the other side. For the next step, I repeated the process on a fine stone. After that, I I did ten alternating strokes on one side and then the other side with very little pressure.

Just doing what I had done was enough to shave the hair from my arm with no effort at all. And this was without any stropping at all. I sharpened the bleeder blades in the same fashion and they also came out hair popping sharp.

I would have to give this sharpener an A+ and rate it way beyond any other method I have ever tried in the past.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Sharpening Broadheads

Postby wideangle » 12 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I use the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener to sharpen knives, garden tools, scissors etc.
It really does work great on knives.
It is advertised to also sharpen broadheads. It is made in the USA in Ashland OR.
It has fabulous reviews at many sites. Their site is worth checking out
http://www.worksharptools.com/
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby idahoghost » 12 02, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I wish Elknut would send me one to try :lol:
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby foxvalley » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 4]

idahoghost wrote:I wish Elknut would send me one to try :lol:

Me too, how does WW rate so high as to get free stuff from elknut to try. I think I am going to my mercedes dealer and see if I can try one for a while, and see if it grows on me.lol.
Thanks WW and theelkhunter for the link,I am very exited to try this sharpener,as I also shoot the magnus stingers and looks like the answer for sharpening the main blades along with the bleeders,front and back.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Broken arrow » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I have heard good things about the Rada cutlery quick edge sharpener. It's cheap I'm thinking about trying one. Think I'll order one and let every one know.
Broken arrow