Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Show us your axes and hatchets.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Show us your axes and hatchets.

Postby Jhg » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 1]

00j0j_fS6NSeZ6DA3_600x450.jpg
00j0j_fS6NSeZ6DA3_600x450.jpg (39.04 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
I don't carry an axe or hatchet hunting of course but I have them in camp and wouldn't want to be without one. And nothing connects you to being a kid, dreaming about the hunting adventures to come, like a nice axe or hatchet.
They are almost like a memory card and when your hand grabs the handle those memories shoot up your arm and into your soul, connecting you to the past.
You would think it would be easy to acquire a nice vintage axe but it took me a long time to do so. I finally found a Norlund Camper axe in my neighbors garage and traded cleaning her gutters for it.

Tell us about your treasured axe or hatchet.
00x0x_l4990kXkxjV_600x450.jpg
00x0x_l4990kXkxjV_600x450.jpg (28.79 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
Jhg

Re: Show us your axes and hatchets.

Postby Lefty » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 2]

You will have to wait on the pic

Bought an Eswing leather handled side hatchet in the fall of 78. Dang; it makes that hatchet 40 years old It has done thousands of miles on the beaver line in canoes and boats

I was checking beaver traps,.. a tad chlli -22
I somehow fell forward into a check hole in the ice and the hatchet went into the water and my upper body got soaked. My car was running up on the highway, A state trooper saw me running down the river and saw the keys in the ignition and door locked. I had the other set of keys in my mouth
Attachments
29269CB1-9DCF-4376-B11D-992AE4C8A6F6.jpeg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 11 13, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Not to be a nit picker, but your hatchet is 40 years old now, or you bought it in 1968. Of coarse I am being a nit picker. But as your mom said "I am doing this for your own good." :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 14, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Lefty. I have an Estwing that I got for Christmas when I was 10 years old. That makes mine about 25 years older than yours. It got plenty of use on the trap line as well. About 3 years ago, I bought a brand new one for my grandson for his 10th Christmas present. They haven't changed them a bit. I suppose, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 11 16, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Swede my mother would have corrected my grammar
I got the math correct just not the keyboarding

WW something worthwhile giving. Make sure you have some stories written down about your hatchet
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 6]

When I was outfitting I had a small hatchet specifically for making kindling. LOTS of kindling for flat landers who needed 5 gallons of gas to start a fire.

Not I just use the maul to split a week’s worth of wood. That and my Stihl Farm Boss and I’m good to go.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 11 22, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Indian Summer wrote:,,,,,,, flat landers who needed 5 gallons of gas to start a fire.,,,.

My current group of Boys scouts all have difficulty starting a fire.
Years back i Washington our scouts could start a fire in a pouring Cascade rain .
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 22, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Confucius day, “man who starts fire with gas loses body hair, or body parts, quickly” :shock:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 11 26, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:,,,, 5 gallons of gas to start a fire.

A teaching buddy was clearing land for his new home site in western Washington,.. he claimed he had gas/diesel mixed. He woke up hours later with out eyebrows and much of his hair, a bad headache and took the week off.
Opps I need to get a new pic of my hatchet
Lefty

Postby Lsb » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 10]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Confucius day, “man who starts fire with gas loses body hair, or body parts, quickly” :shock:

I got plenty of body hair to spare. It grows back.
Lsb

Postby Swede » 12 14, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote:A teaching buddy was clearing land for his new home site in western Washington,.. he claimed he had gas/diesel mixed. He woke up hours later with out eyebrows and much of his hair, a bad headache and took the week off. Opps I need to get a new pic of my hatchet

A good mixture for slash fuel is about 1/4 gas and 3/4 diesel; not 1/4 cup diesel and 5 gallons of gas. At 1/4-3/4, the mixture will be plenty spicy for you.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 12, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:Not to be a nit picker, but your hatchet is 40 years old now, or you bought it in 1968. Of coarse I am being a nit picker. But as your mom said "I am doing this for your own good." :lol:

Oppps I edited my post,.. so now your mom is wrong
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 03 12, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:
Lefty wrote:A teaching buddy was clearing land for his new home site in western Washington,.. he claimed he had gas/diesel mixed. He woke up hours later with out eyebrows and much of his hair, a bad headache and took the week off. Opps I need to get a new pic of my hatchet

A good mixture for slash fuel is about 1/4 gas and 3/4 diesel; not 1/4 cup diesel and 5 gallons of gas. At 1/4-3/4, the mixture will be plenty spicy for you.
I think he went 5 gallons gas 1 gallon chain saw mix.
Lefty