Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shooting Stick(s)?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shooting Stick(s)?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 02, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Does anybody pack either a shooting stick or bi-pod with you while big game hunting (I'm talking the expending tall ones, not the shorty bi-pod type that attached to a weapon)? Just curious as to what you use, and, if you feel it's worth packing it with you when out in the elk/deer woods? I've never owned/used one and am curious to hear what you cats have to say "pro or con" about them.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Shooting Stick(s)?

Postby Elkhntr08 » 11 02, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I’ve carried a set of Stoney Point for years. They’re quick and easy. I don’t have to worry about finding a rest or a tree and my kneeling or offhands not what it used to be.
They’re laying on the bench right now, needing new elastic cords.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lsb » 11 02, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I know you said not the short rifle attached ones. Mines rifle attached but goes low enough you can lay prone with both elbows on the ground to 41" tall. Swagger bipod is the brand, a little heavy but worth it imo. Mines the longer one he talks about towards the end.
Lsb

Postby saddlesore » 11 02, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I carry a set all the time.Extend from about 15"to30". I have used them on the last five elk I shot, including this year
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 11 03, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I always carry them, even though my rifle has a bipod, but for a quick shot inside 200yds, shooting sticks are awesome. I always use them while calling lions too. I carry them extended, because it lines up perfect when I take a knee (not at a football game, in the woods ;) ) mine are vanguard brand, and I love them, had the primos version and they were junk, I like the cam lock type rather than the ones you twist to loosen/tighten like the primos.

I also use them a bunch glassing, rest my binos on them to make them dual purpose
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 11 04, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I keep a "shorty" Harris bipod.
At one time I went 13 shots 13 dead animals when my gun was new,.. Wrecked that run by shooting at coyotes :lol:
I bought a stick for my daughters moose hunts, and keep it with my rifle gear. But havent used it

I take very very few rifle shots without support .doesnt matter the caliber. .22, 7mm .30
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 11 04, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Absolutely!!! That shot, which could make or break your entire season, is worth carrying something to steady up your gun. If you are jump shooting elk in timber you probably won’t have time to use it. But in better scenarios, spot and stalk hunting, shots are further and you have more time.

I have a Versa Pod which is a bipod that, unlike a Harris, can be snapped on or off of the gun fast and quiet. But as I started hunting more semi open country my shots got furth and I had more time so I got more serious about a rest. Now I carry a Caldwell Dead Shot Field Pod that supports both the front and back of my gun. It’s the bomb for dropping the bomb on elk! A little bulky but pretty lightweight.
Attachments
1A0E468D-33D2-41E2-93C1-1CF11A23D18E.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Roosiebull » 11 04, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer wrote:Absolutely!!! That shot, which could make or break your entire season, is worth carrying something to steady up your gun. If you are jump shooting elk in timber you probably won’t have time to use it. But in better scenarios, spot and stalk hunting, shots are further and you have more time.

I have a Versa Pod which is a bipod that, unlike a Harris, can be snapped on or off of the gun fast and quiet. But as I started hunting more semi open country my shots got furth and I had more time so I got more serious about a rest. Now I carry a Caldwell Dead Shot Field Pod that supports both the front and back of my gun. It’s the bomb for dropping the bomb on elk! A little bulky but pretty lightweight.

thanks for mentioning the versa pod! that is exactly what I have been looking for. I have harris bipods on 2 rifles, and I like them, but they get in the way while having your rifle slung.

i'm getting a Barrett Fieldcraft sooner than later, and wanted a bipod on it, but being an ultralight setup, also didn't want a bipod. the versapod solves that dilemma! I knew there had to be something like that on the market, but could never find it. that is a very cool bipod system, and I don't have to mount a rail on my stock like I thought I was going to have to to have a quick disconnect bipod
Roosiebull

Postby Fridaythe13th » 11 05, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I love my Harris bi pod for 2 reason. 1 the most important is for the shot but i just hate laying my gun on the ground or leaning against a tree. I left it at home 1 year never do that again.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 11 05, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Shooting sticks are not just for those longer shots. But at rims the precision.
A a kid I threaded a lot of shoots through the branches and leaves for tree squirrels. Kind of miss squirrel hunting
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 11 05, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Fridaythe13th wrote:I love my Harris bi pod for 2 reason. 1 the most important is for the shot but i just hate laying my gun on the ground or leaning against a tree. I left it at home 1 year never do that again.

I took mine off for a few days and really missed the bipod for setting my rifle down, especially when it's rainy, it was an instant pet peeve. truth is, only get to use the bipod on game about half the time, but for those times, it makes it worth packing.

I am getting a "versa pod" for my Barrett Fieldcraft when I buy it though, because when i'm calling lions, I will not want or need it (no glassing, and always shooting off sticks while sitting) and want to keep it streamlined and ultralight.

a bipod is about as useful as a sling to me (or at least a good set of sticks) can't really live without them now.
Roosiebull

Postby Rangerz » 11 07, 2018 •  [Post 12]

For "taller" shots I use my trekking poles. Put the straps over the top of each pole cross the poles and it makes a nice place to nestle the stock.

Reduces the need to carry an extra pair of long shooting sticks.

Use a Javelin bipod for prone shots.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby BrentLaBere » 11 07, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Rangerz wrote:For "taller" shots I use my trekking poles. Put the straps over the top of each pole cross the poles and it makes a nice place to nestle the stock.

Reduces the need to carry an extra pair of long shooting sticks.

Use a Javelin bipod for prone shots.

This is what I had in mind. Seems like I might need to practice it before I head out. I was only thinking of using my backpack.....
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby dreadi » 11 09, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Yup....packed around Primos tripod shooting sticks for much the elk season and some of the mule deer season. One thing I've come to learn after using them last year was to wrap the legs in some camo cling material. It really cuts the cold temp metal from transferring into your hands.
dreadi

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 09, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Hey, hey....welcome to the forum mister. Glad you swung by ;) Pull up a log by the fire and chime in whoever u wish.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ