Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Broadheads

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Broadheads

Postby fuoco24 » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I am currently shooting a pse freak SP. 70 lb draw with a 32 inch draw. I'm using gold top arrows. My question is what broadheads are the best for elk? I was going to use 125 grain broadheads but should I get fixed or expanding and which one?
fuoco24

Re: Broadheads

Postby wawhitey » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 2]

You must be one big hombre. Just tackle the elk and pop its neck.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Roosiebull » 07 02, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I would strongly recommend sticking to fixed heads for elk....lots of good heads on the market right now, you are basically asking what we shoot, because we all think we use the best broadheads :D

I shoot a product from a sponsor here, magnus black hornet ser razors. I have used them the past 2 seasons, and both years they have performed excellent. very forgiving head, very sharp out of the package, made in the USA, and the BEST warranty in the business, very reasonably priced as well.
Roosiebull

Postby ishy » 07 02, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Magnus Stinger here, love them. Usually two blade for elk, and bleeders for deer and bear when not as concerned as much about penetration.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby fuoco24 » 07 02, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I am 6 foot 6 inches. 290lbs
fuoco24

Postby 1Elkhunter » 07 02, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I'll give you my advice... and that's all it is, but I've killed a lot of chit over the years with archery tackle. Like Rossiebull, I recommend a fixed blade broadhead, specifically a cut on contact head. I shot slick trick 100g standards for a long time, like 10+ years. But I went back to old school 2 blade one-piece cut on contacts a couple years ago and the results are nothing short of phenomenal. I only shoot trad anymore, so I have to leverage every advantage I can to kill quickly as trad bows just don't carry as much energy downrange. I mitigate that disadvantage by shooting a HEAVY arrow, with extreme front of center, a topic that is hotly debated, but my results with that strategy have filled my freezer consistently. I shoot a 200g 2 blade, one piece VPA penetrator. My arrows are right at 600g, and 300 of that is on the tip. Regardless, use a strong, razor sharp cut on contact broad head and you'll be good to go. They split bone, penetrate at off angles and make two holes in critters more often than not.
1Elkhunter

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 02, 2017 •  [Post 7]

With that draw weight and draw length, I'd use the widest 2,3, or 4 blade fixed cut on contact head you can find in 125 grains. Plenty of energy there to make BIG holes in an elk, so maximize the cutting width. There are too many horror stories with expandables falling apart on impact for me to recommend them though.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 07 02, 2017 •  [Post 8]

For big game I would stick with a fixed blade broadhead. It needs to be super sharp. Some of the other things are pretty hotly debated. A 125 grain broadhead on an arrow shot from a 70# bow should have enough energy to kill deer, elk and moose. Just make sure it hits consistently where you want.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 03, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I prefer a cut on contact head. Shoot a few and see what your set up prefers. I went the Slick Trick ViperTrick.
Elkhntr08