Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

practice

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

practice

Postby powderhogg01 » 10 08, 2015 •  [Post 1]

I was practicing on my deck today and noticed I could replicate the chickens I have. This got me to thinking, if I can call in my rooster... can I finally call in a tom? I have never kept turkey, curious on if anyone has both turkey and chickens and can tell me what to make different for turkey?
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen

Re: practice

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 08, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Are you saying that you called in your pet rooster with turkey calls, or were you making chicken vocalizations with the calls? I dont think this necessarily carries over to being able to call in a tom, the rooster way have been thinking wtf and came over to see whats going on and what new bird is in his territory.

If you know how to replicate turkey sounds then you should be able to shoot a tom!
I live on a farm with chickens and turkeys, and geese, a duck, tons of goats, great pyrs, anatolians, etc, etc... I can call in chickens whenever I want--hens roosters, booth of em--and the same goes for my turkeys, I have a slate call and can make some pretty good sounds with it, but I can replicate any kind of turkey vocalization with just my mouth perfectly (not using a diaphram), except for gobbles and fighting purrs. I can make an awesome fighting purr on the slate, but no gobbles. What kind of call(s) do you have??? An important thing to remember when turkey hunting is that it is unnatural to have a hen call a tom to her in the wild, when the hens are ready to be bred they seek out the toms, so make sure you do not over call, as this portrays the image (in the toms head) that the hen is eager to be bred and will certainly come to him, and if no hen shows up then something is really weird to him and he may silently slip away.
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby powderhogg01 » 10 09, 2015 •  [Post 3]

I was making chicken sounds using my slate. I was able to get my rooster from one end of the property to the other. haha, I understand chickens are not wild turkeys and that the habits will be much different. With that said, is it worth while keeping up with this method until march when the hunt starts? Being my last winter/spring here in colorado I really want to get a miriam on the ground. My archery has never been better, my calling seems to be improving, though I will be getting some mouth reeds to try.
powderhogg01

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 09, 2015 •  [Post 4]

I'm going to clarify something on my previous post, I don't call in chickens with my slate, never tried it, I do it with my voice, its super cool that you can call your roo in-in such a way!
It's probably in your best interest to focus more on turkey vocalizations, but there is a while from now till spring, so you can mess around with your roo, I'm sure its pretty funny. If you can scout at all, then thats great, go into a spot where they are before they go up to roost, and/or go to the spot in the early morning before they fly down and listen. Just listen. Their is nothing better than hearing them up close and personal, and you know exactly what they sound like. Stay silent, if your calling (from practice at home) matches theirs then you can have some fun talking back and forth, but if not- then you know you need to practice a little more. If you call em after they fly down then they may try to find you, and you'll be bummed that the season isn't open yet, LOL.
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby powderhogg01 » 10 09, 2015 •  [Post 5]

In a few weeks the roo will be snowbound in the coop and not really out much, I figure I might as well mess with him a bit while I can. My thinking was more, for hens the soft subtle sounds I am looking to achieve likely sound similar to the chickens. I have not spent much time around turkeys, though I have watched lots of youtube videos and such.
powderhogg01

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 11, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Yes, turkey hens and chicken hens do make similar sounds when they are talking quietly but a turkey yelp and chicken cackle are way different, the really soft sounds may be good for trying to get a tom that is really close to move out from behind some brush for example. So have at it! hopefully this spring you can spend some quality time with a big tom ;) ! Videos are great help, but try to watch the ones that someone calls in a mature tom, I have seen videos where the Jakes are stupid and come in to terrible calling. :|
GobbleFarmer

Postby powderhogg01 » 10 11, 2015 •  [Post 7]

I would be plenty stoked to hit a jake or a tom, both are legal here in the spring. I figure I can get them interested with the box, then switch to the slate and go soft and bring him into the decoy set
powderhogg01

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 11, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Sounds like a plan! Do you have a fall turkey season or is it just spring?
GobbleFarmer

Postby powderhogg01 » 10 12, 2015 •  [Post 9]

we do have a fall season, it is limited entry though(I think i have enough points even) they allow rimfire rifles during the fall season.. likely a reason I have not been out in the fall for turkey. I also am not sure how one would go about hunting a fall turkey, as the toms would not be concerned with breeding at that point..
powderhogg01