Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

WV Spring Gobbler Success

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

WV Spring Gobbler Success

Postby Ghost » 05 05, 2014 •  [Post 1]

My girlfriend and I went down to WV on Wednesday for 4 days of turkey hunting. This was her first spring hunt and after last years fall success I wanted to show her that the spring was even more exciting. Thursday and Friday were pretty much a bust, heard 1 bird each day but they were so far off we couldnt agree which direction the gobble came from and they only gobbled once. Saturday was complete change, followed a truck up the one rightway (pretty sure this guy was trespassing) on my quad, rode down the mountain and setup up on the rightway, 1 gobbler opened up behind us but way down the mountain and 2 were gobbling in front of us but again way down the mountain. I could hear the guy that came in the truck calling, I fired off a series of cutts and the gobbler behind us opened up, still way down the mountain, other guy was calling and the gobbler was responding to him as well, low and behold up the mountain the bird came, the other guy was calling like a mad man, I ran off a series of cutts and purrs along with mouth call yelps and cutts was too much and the bird is coming out on the rightway, we switched seats so Deb would have the shot, darn if that bird didnt work up directly behind us at 10 feet, he started putting and I thought the game was over, but he came out on the rightaway directly opposite of anyplace Deb had any kind of a shot, Im left handed so I turned a little and laid the smack down on him. We celebrated a little but the birds that were in front of us were still going off, so we moved into a better position and called, 5 minutes later they thundered off to our left and 100 yards down the mountain, perfect for Deb to shoot, darn if they didnt come up on my side and again Deb has no shot as Im in the way, they stand there gobbling looking, couldnt see the dekes, they drop down into a little gully, I roll out of my chair and Deb slides into it, I cutt on the slate call, they gobble back and here they come, and they are moving, now in range and closing rapidly, I clucked, the first bird stopped, and Deb hammered it!!
17lbs, 4.5 inch beard.

You can see the pics http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3330764&#Post3330764

Sure would be nice if the board had larger file capacity. Hate to keep using another board to link pics.
Ghost

First Name: Cort
Last Name: A

Re: WV Spring Gobbler Success

Postby zpd307 » 05 05, 2014 •  [Post 2]

nice, congrats to both of you!
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 05, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for sharing the story. Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Indian Summer » 05 10, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Nice Cort. It's so awesome to have a first timer out for spring gobblers when they are mouthing off. Tell Deb I said congrats please. A day to remember for sure. Now to get her on a bull!!!!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby POk3s » 05 10, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Nice!!!

Although I will somewhat disagree with the deer picture. Nothing goes to waste in nature :) . Might not have fed a human mouth but it fed something!
POk3s