Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Turkey chokes?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Turkey chokes?

Postby pointysticks » 02 03, 2014 •  [Post 1]

i know very little about them.

i just got a Remington 11-87 hand me down...and when i got it, i immediately thought, "turkey gun". i have a fistfull of screw in chokes, and the key..but no turkey choke.

not knowing a thing about them, i have been reading great reviews about the Hevi-shot choke. is this thing designed for their shotshells? $50 isnt bad.

what about glowing shotgun sights..needed?

my primary tool will always be my bow. but a shotgun, is sorta fun.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: Turkey chokes?

Postby jmez » 02 03, 2014 •  [Post 2]

The Hevi-shot tube will be designed to use with their loads. Likely won't work well with other loads.

My opinion, put the full factory choke in the gun and get some #6 turkey loads and go hunting. Not sure where all the extra full and #4-#2 , stuff for turkeys got started. Shoot them in the head at a reasonable distance and you will kill them graveyard dead every single time. I've killed a lot of them with a .20 gauge. Know your effective range.

If you want to stretch the range then just buy a .10 gauge.

Reason turkeys get branded as tough is poor shooting. I don't like the glowing sights on a shotgun. Personal preference. It would distract me.

If you are primarily a bow hunter you won't feel the need to try to kill them at 60 yards. What you have will work fine.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby bnsafe » 02 04, 2014 •  [Post 3]

I agree with Jason except I used a modified. missed a lot of turkeys with fulls an killed a lot of turkeys at long distances with modified. ive bought a few after market chokes an have always went back to the old standards..
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby ChukarNUT » 02 04, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I think it just depends on you gun-sight-style-etc. I have an 870 pump that i turned into a turkey gun and it had a factory extra-full choke that patterns very well out to 50. my ithaca turkey gun has a primos jellyhead choke and it punches a baseball size hole in cardboard from short range to 50...i like that gun b/c i have a holo sight on it and can aim just like a rifle and turn a turkeys head into...well jelly!! lol i think biggest factor is just pattern the gun with different chokes to get the tightest pattern and know its effective range. with that said i look at turkey chokes like aluminum arrows vs. carbon....yeah aluminum arrows work---but carbon is that much better!!
ChukarNUT

First Name: Brian

Postby jrnorton4 » 02 07, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Not trying to sell a product or anything, but I have had great luck with the Federal shells with the Flitecontrol wad. I hunt with an old Remington 1100 from the days when nobody had screw in chokes. Its got a factory full choke barrel, and those shells took it from a 40 yard gun to a 55 yd gun. I do thear they don't do good on the extra full chokes though.
jrnorton4

Postby twinkieman » 02 08, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Pattern your gun, know where it shoots, and what your maximum killing distance is, and don't shoot beyond that. Personally I prefer a vented choke tube. I do use fiber optic sights for low light conditions, clouds in the way of a rising sun, etc.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby N5J » 02 24, 2014 •  [Post 7]

twinkieman wrote:Pattern your gun, know where it shoots, and what your maximum killing distance is, and don't shoot beyond that. Personally I prefer a vented choke tube. I do use fiber optic sights for low light conditions, clouds in the way of a rising sun, etc.

This is the best advise. Every year our NWTF chapter will provide shells so you can pattern you shotgun. In the past I've tried different shells and chokes in different guns. I've found the #5 HEVI shot will hold a tight pattern in my Remington 870 with a turkey choke and modified choke. With the turkey choke the pattern is a little tighter at longer distances but not by much. Now my buddy's Benelli shotgun shoots better using Federal #6 turkey loads.

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby baddaddy » 03 24, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Never had a problem with the xtra full chokes with the flight control wad. Just don't try them with the chokes that have the wad stripping function. (You can tell these by the ridges on the inside. They will not be smooth.) In the Remington I would look at the undertaker or jellyhead choke with the federal loads. Just my .02.
baddaddy