Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

March 29 is our spring opener!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

March 29 is our spring opener!!

Postby pointysticks » 01 06, 2014 •  [Post 1]

one of my favorite hunts.

not physically strenous. i only pack my blind in once and then i leave it for the 3-4 days. i do private land, and i am the only guy with permission.

cheap for us. even my brother flies in from texas. he gets 3 birds for around $140 as a non res. heck of a deal. we stay in a hotel!! hahah.

i straightened out my turkey gear yesterday..it is just starting to get on my brain radar..

anyone else thinking about spring?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: March 29 is our spring opener!!

Postby bnsafe » 01 07, 2014 •  [Post 2]

yes sir I am. havnt hunted turkeys in a couple years but but it was a ritual for about 30 yrs before that. I love turkeys when they gobble an act like turkeys. sounds fun, good luck
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 08, 2014 •  [Post 3]

pointysticks wrote:anyone else thinking about spring?

Oh yes! It hit me how close it is about a week or so ago. I saw my first turkey(s) in the wild in 2008 after calling the Utah Chapter of NWTF. After spending a weekend driving all over God's country and back, scouting and not finding any. I obviously had NO clue where to find them, so one of the biologist pointed me in the right direction. 1 week later the season opened, and I was on birds opening day . . . 11 hens, 3 jakes, and one BIG, fatty tom. He was gorgeous. I blew that opportunity all to hell, but I've been hooked ever since!
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby ChukarNUT » 02 02, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I am pumped!! LOVE chasing those birds around! Great way to shake off winter and get ready for the mountains again. and there are quite a few parallels between turkey and elk hunting. we get 2 tags for them here in oregon and im blessed with some great public land hunting 15 minutes from home. by blind luck a few years ago i was out exploring some of the ghost towns in eastern oregon and while checking out a pioneer cemetary heard some gobbling...snuck in and found their main roosting area, they have used this same spot to roost for 6 years now and i have filled both tags there ever since!
ChukarNUT

First Name: Brian

Postby fm » 02 09, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I'm so ready for spring to get here, it has been a long cold winter up here so far. I have heard that where I hunt in Mn and Wisc. they are starting to have some die off all ready. I have a long wait before I get to hunt. We get the whole month of May for the archery season and I will hunt for a week in Wisc. in May all so . Can't get here soon enough.
fm

Postby pointysticks » 02 10, 2014 •  [Post 6]

ChukarNUT wrote:I am pumped!! LOVE chasing those birds around! Great way to shake off winter and get ready for the mountains again. and there are quite a few parallels between turkey and elk hunting. we get 2 tags for them here in oregon and im blessed with some great public land hunting 15 minutes from home. by blind luck a few years ago i was out exploring some of the ghost towns in eastern oregon and while checking out a pioneer cemetary heard some gobbling...snuck in and found their main roosting area, they have used this same spot to roost for 6 years now and i have filled both tags there ever since!

goggling "pioneer cemetary eastern oregon" as we speak..hahah..just kidding.

sounds like a great place to hunt. i love a spot with history. my spot is less cool. in some folks huge yards..a very rural area. nice in it's own way..one time my buddy got hungry and jogged home for lunch..he came back with plates of enchiladas..real plates and silverware..haha. not really roughing it..at all.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lark Bunting » 02 21, 2014 •  [Post 7]

pointysticks wrote:
sounds like a great place to hunt. i love a spot with history. my spot is less cool. in some folks huge yards..a very rural area. nice in it's own way..one time my buddy got hungry and jogged home for lunch..he came back with plates of enchiladas..real plates and silverware..haha. not really roughing it..at all.

That's funny! My son and I may do spring turkey. We tried scouting an area last year but it had been closed by the state due to the Waldo Canyon fire. I don't know if that area is open yet but it looks like we have until April to figure it out as that's when the season begins OTC.
Lark Bunting

First Name: Tom
Last Name: S