Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

co turkeys

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

co turkeys

Postby bnsafe » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

anybody gonna hunt em this year. i saw a few turkeys today in co. first time i have ever seen em here. pretty cool for a mo boy use to them in every field.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: co turkeys

Postby otcWill » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Heck yeah! I love some mountain merriams and I actually pack my blind and gear about 3 miles into the backcountry to hunt these birds every spring. Wouldn't miss it for anything
otcWill

Postby bnsafe » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

go get em and good luck, next year when i have my residency 6 mos in i will be after em.
bnsafe

Postby buglmin » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 4]

DSCF4319.JPG
DSCF4319.JPG (316.87 KiB) Viewed 7012 times

Man I love hunting turkeys!!
buglmin

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Hey Anthony, way to go bud, nice Merriam there.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bnsafe » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 6]

sweet, gotta get me a merriam, then there will only be one
bnsafe

Postby buglmin » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I used to go nuts hunting turkeys, Co, NM, Texas, OK, and Missouri every year. But life and my daughters strives to play sports kinda ruled out my turkey traveling days. Now, Im lucky if I get out a few times a spring cause of work. But I am looking forward to hunting spring birds this year, big private ranch, a few guys coming out to chase birds and then elk in the fall...
buglmin

Postby bnsafe » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 8]

sounds like a blast bugle, i grew up on easterns in mo and killed a few rios in kansas. a merriam is on my list. good luck and have fun. turkey hunting is a blast.
bnsafe

Postby buglmin » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I remember my first time in Missouri, man what a rush. I was invited out by a couple of clients, and Ive never had so much fun. Actually killed a bird in Missouri and one in Arkansas. The guys were a hoot, and my ex wife and I almost bought a house right outside Springfield. Kinda regret not buying it.
But if you really want to hunt birds, go to Texas. Birds everywhere, all day long. The late Tony Dukes would tell you after you shot one, that he was DRT...dead right there!! Several times we'd shoot three birds from one bunch as the other birds would attack the dead gobbler. Never tire of hunting birds in Texas...think a trip south might do my tired body well.
Im living on a ranch now here in sw Colorado, birds roosting 200 yards southeast of the house. Never been turkey hunted. Gobblers are walking down my drive way every morning as they come to the feeders, lol. Trying to work up into my recurve, but the weight is tiring me out really fast, so I had Darton send me out a lil 45# 3800...man can that lil bow shoot.
Good luck chasing birds this spring...kill a big one!!
buglmin

Postby bnsafe » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 10]

bugle, springfield is a gorgeous place, and you coulda made some money on that deal, the area has exploded in the last 15 years or so. hindsight, ive been there. mo turkeys have changed alot. they use to gobble and act like turkeys, now they gobble 3-4 times in the tree and dont make another sound all day. they are really hard to hunt, you can still find a bird occassionally that will cooperate but they are few and far in between. also the hunting pressure on them is insane. everybody owns 40 acres and hunts it so the turkeys cant go anywhere without somebody on their call yelling at them. its just different. kansas was my favorite place to hunt, those birds were easy and fun.
bnsafe

Postby buglmin » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Yessir, kinda regret not buying that house. We had talked of moving there, great job oppertunities and economy. My buddies out there tell me that you'll have two or three guys now trying to work the same bird...that would suck.
If you ever get the chance, go to Texas for turkeys...there is no place like texas in the spring. And you'll have three or four big birds come into the calls together. And in the mornings, hooting at them, you'll hear 30 to 40 gobblers...I love Texas!!
buglmin

co turkeys

Postby timberghost51 » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I just moved to summit county colorado...i have never hunted turkeys out west but I am assuming I will have to go a little further east towards Denver to get into them...any tips from guys who have hunted them out here...a little different than Huntin birds in your yard back in Pittsburgh
timberghost51

First Name: matt
Last Name: mcmurray

Postby otcWill » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 13]

These dang mountain merriams can be VERY tough! Nebraska would be your best bet, tons of 'em. Unit 61 has some good numbers, but everybody and their brother knows it. They can be found on the front range as well, but you'll have to burn some boot leather. You can draw 2 points per year for turks as well and there are some quality hunts in the draw. Good luck and welcome to Colorado!
otcWill

Postby duckdog28 » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Timberghost
Go south or southwest. East is not the way to go from where you are. PM me if you have questions

Good luck
duckdog28

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Walter

Postby baddaddy » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I'll be out this year. Went up today to look around. Not much snow up there. Gonna be dry this year.
baddaddy

Postby bnsafe » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 16]

good luck to everybody gettin out. hopefully next year for me
bnsafe